• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My rear is hurt

RSlater

The good thing about Culver City is that they deal with insurance. So they could give you an estimate, then discover something else is wrong once they start pulling the car apart, and they can go to the insurance company and get the extra money required.

My insurance company tried to low ball me when i wanted to go to an independent shop so i was better off going through a shop that works with insurance adjusters.

If you settle without insurance, the deal is usually done. if there are any undiscovered problems weeks or months down the road, good luck going finding the people who hit you and asking for more money....

-Josh

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

Wow, terrible to hear Ryan. I first saw your car at the Castaic So Cal Vintage Run last year. It truly is a beautiful car. Hope to see it restored to its original glory.

69' 1600 Satin Black/Orange heavy street mod

74' 2002 Chamonix Automatic

03' e46 Alpine White daily driver

A girl with Daddy's big bumpered Volvo picked up a guy at a bar, he was messing with her when she came to a stop light. I happened to be between her and her apartment.

4-16-2010_007.jpg

Don

Wow Don, I hadn't seen that pic before. You even picked up the dry cleaning that day. 10-4 Good buddy. What was your handle back then??

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Ryan,

I stopped by collision one/ culver city customs. Raj mentioned you stopped by.

What did you think?

I found another guy who seemed slightly better. All he worked on were old cars and he was half the price.

I'm starting to wonder as he says he may not have time for me a few months.

1968 BMW 1600 US VIN 1560713

manufactured on October 2nd, 1967

http://mybmw1600-2.blogspot.com/

I really didn't have a handle. I mostly listened for smokey reports.

D

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Chris, I thought that Raj at Collision One knew what they where doing but I found a small outfit in Upland not too far from where I live and he was a third the price. I looked at some of the work the local guy, Steve, did and I was impressed. When I get it all completed I will provide a real review with before and after shots, and let you know how happy I am.

I was a little dismayed with the first two estimates I got, both from reputable shops, they ranged from almost $2800 to $2300. I spoke with a friend who restores Austin Healeys and he didn't think the damage was too bad. Steve had 10 hours of paint and body labor compared to 24 and 36. I understand they all need to make money but there was huge differences in the amount of labor.

I think some body shops have different pricing if insurance is paying or its out of pocket. Their computer system says it should take 36 hours to complete but in real life a competent body shop can complete the work in a fraction of the time, just like the mechanic at a car dealer who can do a break job much quicker than the computer says it should take. All the shops are upfront with how they charge so I'm not bashing them for what they do I just don't want to pay them that way.

When its all done I'll let you have a look, hopefully I wont be disappointed.

Ryan

Ryan

76 jadegrun "Helle"

Be careful here. Maybe go back to the expensive guys and get more information. You don't want to pay for quick labor. You want it done right and you want to keep your friend.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

John,

Typicallly I'd agree with you here. In this case, I've got quite a bit on the line. There are a couple of shops in the area that do classic restoration. Down to metal, high quality work, etc. It seems that Raj is double the cost of the other people. I really wish I had a reason, but I can't find it. He also may take 4 months to do my complete shell.

1968 BMW 1600 US VIN 1560713

manufactured on October 2nd, 1967

http://mybmw1600-2.blogspot.com/