• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upcoming Trip To Munich!

jscaptura1

I am going to be traveling to Munich at the end of the month & have set up tours through the BMW Factory & Museum. Does anyone have info on these tours & should I be looking at something else to do there?(along with or instead of the tours). Any information that you have about the museum and factory would be greatly appreciated!

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

new car delivery center, gift shop, etc etc--spectacular architecture and lots of things to see.

And don't forget to spend some time just walking around downtown Munich--lots of fascinating old buildings--esp the Rathaus (city hall) and just people watch.

You're gonna have fun.

mike

PS--keep your eyes peeled for disguised prototype BMWs--they test 'em around Munich all the time.

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike, Thanks for the info, I will keep an eye out for test cars & post any I may come across! I can't wait to get there!

Joe

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

Well if you want to tour another Museum I can highly recommend:

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/index.php?id=1&L=1

.....or maybe you should go to thee englishergardens and put back a few liters of Spaten and a few bratwursts!!

Munich is a world class city!

-mpkwy

CARS:Past

1966 VW Bug

1971 2002 (BOUGHT IN 1972) (totaled, back in my sordid youth)

1975 2002 (mntgrun (sold)

1973 2002 (Sahara, unmolested, Sold, sniff-sniff)

asst Honda accords and Outbacks

Current:

06 Outback

04 Camry

After you seen the BMW museum by day, at night I recommend the following

http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/munipubs.htm

The Andech's brew pub is incredible, brewed by monks since 1455. Their monastery is near Munich but they have a brew pub in the city center.

The Ayinger brew pub is across the street from the Hofbrauhaus and doesn't get the boat load of tourists that frequent the HB haus. Ayinger is great beer by the way. I also like the Augustiner brew haus, D on the linked map, right down the street from the Haupbahnhof.

You are going at a great time of the year.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

The BMW museum and factory tour at the 3 series plant near the old Olympic park is VERY worthwhile. The museum was a little dated when I was there in 2002, but very neat history.

they comletely restored and restocked it since then. A guy once complained it was shitty, because the only have two 2002's and two Neue Klasse. The space is limited, so they have a bit of everything. But what they have is worth going there. I would say it's absolutely worth it.

The BMW-Welt is just over the street. Olympiapark is also a nice place to go for a walk if you're into that.

Spaten? Really? There's much better in Munich than Spaten... Try Augustiner or Hofbräuhaus beer. Or other regional beer, but Spaten, come on...

Deutsches Museum is very interesting (on the "museumsisland") and there's a aircraft part of the Deutsches Museum a bit outside of Munich in Oberschleißheim.

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/flugwerft/information/

If you're in luxury things and/or window shopping you should try the "Maximilianstraße" it's about 5Minutes away from the Rathaus.

If you want to try typical and non-typical bavarian food i.e. Bratwurst, Schweinebraten, Sauerkraut, domesticated wild boar (Hauswildsau - tasty!), try the Paulaner im Tal, that's also near the Rathaus, just down the street. It's a little bit "touristy" but not so touristy that locals wouldn't go there. I go there often with customers and afiliates.

http://www.paulaner-im-tal.de/Paulaner_im_Tal/Startseite.html

Spaten? Really? There's much better in Munich than Spaten... Try Augustiner or Hofbräuhaus beer. Or other regional beer, but Spaten, come on...

That was my 'generic' beer name by an auslander. I kindly defer to your list. forgive me!

-mpkwy

1966 VW Bug

Current:

06 Outback

04 Camry

Good suggestions! The BMW Museum and delivery center/welt can get very busy on weekends, so you might want to go during the week if you can. Also, they are closed on Mondays.

The food is surprisingly good, too! And you can take 500 photos of the early 1600 and nobody will question you!

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

My advice:

Look on eBay Germany for parts you need and pick them up when you get there to save on shipping. I see a few parts are much cheaper over there (for example euro turn signals) than here. This is true for other stuff (optics, for example)

We went back in March for my 40th birthday. The museum is great; a true bimmerphile could spend all day there. We didn't go to the factory, as I've been on the Spartanburg tour, and we had been in country for a week and wanted to slow the pace down.

One place that is well worth visiting, if a bit of a downer, is the Dachau concertration camp. Quite sobering, but an important part of history. It's just outside of Munich, and easy to get to.

http://www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de/index-e.html

Depending upon how long you will be in the city of monks (Munich), it may be worthwhile to buy a transit pass. An all day pass for one person is about 5 euros (€); a good deal when a single one-way alone costs 2€. If there are several of you traveling together, a partner all day pass is good for 5 adults travelling together, and it costs 10€!

The Andechser Am Dom is a great restaurant run by the Andechs brewery. It's near the Dom in the old part of town. Its crowded in the evening, but the crowd is good and the brew and food is great.

http://www.andechser-am-dom.de/

Augustiner is good too, and its right near the Andescher. The Hofbrauhaus is quite a touristy place, still fun, but the food and atmosphere isn't as good as the other too.

Rick Steves' guidebook is great, even if you think he's not your style. If you only buy one guidebook, it should be his. He tells it like it is. If he saays its overpriced, or lame, it is.

Have Fun!

John in the Columbia River Gorge

1976 2002 Chamonix/Navy - SOLD

2001 330i

Gordon, Thanks for the Info! I have a good list of Brew Houses I will be visiting while in Munich thanks to your help!

Enjoy!

Joe

If you have time and would like to see some beautiful mountain areas head out to "Garmish" (about a bit over an hr by car)

Was/is home to the US Military for RR for returning soldiers.

Beautiful Bavarian alpine region with the largest mountain in Germany (zugspitze)

-mpkwy

1966 VW Bug

Current:

06 Outback

04 Camry