• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upcoming Trip To Munich!

jscaptura1

Two words... Bavaria Tour

Being held between June 22-26th this year. If you're there during this time you MUST hook up with this group!

http://www.bavaria-tour.info/

Much info on the UK '02 forum here.

http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1162

And here...

http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2214

HTH

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

I just got back from Germany two days ago. While I didn’t have much time in Munich, I did visit the Museum/Welt. The Museum has the 17 art car exhibit along the temporary exhibition ramp and 50 years of the Neue Klasse in the entry foyers (5 cars on exhibit). The 2002ti exhibit is now located on the -2 level. As stated before, the museum is a little dated. Take the bridge to the Welt, which functions basically as an overbuilt dealer showroom. Every new delivery (driving down the ramp) received an ovation from spectators viewing across from the second floor overlook. I visited the Museum on a Saturday which was quit busy—a weekday would be much more tolerable.

The easiest way to get to the BMW complex is to take the U3 subway and get off at Olympiczentrum—the subway exit is about 100 yards behind the Welt. BMWCCA members get 50% off admission to the Museum (6euros instead of 12), but no discount at the Museum Shops (the Welt is free). A daily pass on the U-bahn is about 5.50euros.

The 1972 Olympic site is just across the street (Mittierer Ring) and the view from the Olympic tower has great views of the BMW complex. The architecture of the stadium and adjacent structures is also worth a look.

For those old enough to remember, the apartment complex where the 1972 Munich Olympic massacre took place is about 800 yards from the Welt (Connollystrasse 31).

All German beer is good and vastly different from the adulterated stuff sold in the US. We avoided the Hofbrauhaus on Pentecost Saturday since the crowd was overwhelming. I would think any lesser beer garten would be just as enjoyable. All bratwurst are good (mit semmel or bum), but the weissbrat is excellent. If it is still in season try the spargel (white asparagus) either as a soup or steamed.

Most of Munich’s old city centers around Marienplatz (which again can be very crowed on the weekends)—worth a very quick visit.

If you are interested, you can get a custom German license plate (Kennzeichen for about 15euros) at many stores in Germany. They have blank plates and “print” the plate while you wait.

And finally, Ron Adams Via Corsa book “Car Lover’s Guide to Southern Germany” is an excellent reference for any car enthusiast visiting Bavaria. Good luck on your trip.

post-20049-13667644981966_thumb.jpg

post-20049-13667644982818_thumb.jpg

post-20049-13667644983654_thumb.jpg

post-20049-13667644986737_thumb.jpg