• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New projects - manifold mounts and and oil pan gasket

MrSharky

Okay - so this weekend Betty gets jacked up for a little work.

I've got three main goals - new exhaust manifold (and downpipe), new motor mounts, and new oil pan gasket.

So - plan of attack is something like - jack her up & put her on stands, disconnect & remove exhaust manifold & downpipe. Then I'm thinking I can loosen up the tranny mount, and jack up the transmission/engine a hair, to get some room to replace the mounts. After they are "roughed in" - I should be able to get the oil pan out to replace that gasket. I hope so, at least.

I'm mainly concerned about the oil pan - from what I've read in the archives, it's do-able, but not necessarily easy.

I figure it's a two day job. Should be done with it by September.

Thoughts, advice, warnings are welcome.

Happy Friday!

Matt

I needed a car, and a hobby....

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021

SiteNamecopy.jpg

front of car supported with jack stands

then instead of 'jacking ' from underneath (leaves no room to work)

use an engine hoist(picker) to lift and support the motor and trans

from above - high to remove the oil pan,

and to install the motor mounts

The crank needs to be rotated for the front con rod ends to give clearance for the pan to come forword and out.

REMOVE THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP AND ROTOR FIRST,

AND DISCONNECT THE THROTTLE LINKAGE SO

YOU DON'T TURN IT INTO A PRETZEL!

Also DISCONNECT THE BATTERY !!

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Thanks for the tips. Oh to have a real garage with real tools.

New manifold studs in hand, as well as new nuts & washers (believe they're copper/zinc - shiny copper color anyway)

So - in lieu of an engine hoist...which I don't have, nor have access to. I was looking at some of the rigging that has been done in the past using various big pieces of wood and a chain.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,325214/highlight,oil+pan+gasket/

Think that might be my route. Just can't seem to figure out where the chain attaches to the engine.

Of course, it seems that thunderstorms might be literally raining on my proverbial parade.

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Like C.D. says, if you have an engine hoist, it would make the job so much easier. There must be someone near you w/ a hoist you can borrow. Being able to inch the motor up/down... with ease, will save you tons of headache.

Will Lady be helping on this project?

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

ya, working on getting a hoist. Found one, now I just need to find someone with a truck. "there was an old lady who swallowed a fly...."

Yes, Lady will help, as long as there isn't any thunder involved. But she's not too smart...

post-1748-13667644698193_thumb.jpg

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

SiteNamecopy.jpg

you can do it without a hoist by loosening the motor mounts, jacking up the motor from the oil pan but make sure you distribute the load with a board, then use a 4x4 across the strut towers and a suitable chain and attach to the engine hoist points. that will give you plenty of clearance for pan access and change the mounts at the same time. we don't need no stinkin' hoists! dont forget to check the pump chain while you're in there.

good luck!

bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so got that job done - Thanks to all for the input. I was able to get the engine up high enough by jacking it up from underneath on the tranny (put a piece of 4x4 under my jack to support & spread the load).

Big thanks to CD for the removal ideas - would not have come up with those. I pulled the distributor cap & the throttle linkage, which definitely saved them. I could NOT for the life of me, get the oil pan out without loosening the oil pump. And I don't think the engine hoist would have helped. The reason I say that is because by the time I had it jacked up, i was putting tension on the lower radiator hose, and the fan was coming pretty close to hitting the radiator. Not sure I could have gone up much higher without opening up the cooling system.

SO I did get the oil pan out eventually - I removed the bolts from the oil pump, pulled it up to the side, slid the pan right out. Got the old gasket off, new gasket on, repositioned it into the car, put the pump back into place, then buttoned up the pan's many small bolts.

Changed out the exhaust manifold - the old one was a bear to remove, but the new one went in great - easy fit and looks awesome.

Changed the motor mounts - while up on the jack, I was easily able to slide out the mount on either side, and replace with new (stock OEM, from BLUNT). There was one bolt that didn't cooperate, but eventually I was able to get it all back together.

Okay - then filled her up with some new 20W-50, new oil filter, and good to go, right? NO.

Now, after all this, Betty runs like poo. That's the only way I can put it. She sputters and chokes along, barely making it down the street. In fact, she didn't even make it home tonight - sitting in front of the neighbor's house for the night.

I pulled the plugs (posted pix in another thread) and they were pretty ugly. I've been notified that I shouldn't run platinums... not sure how I got those, but it must have been in my life BF (before FAQ) but I've got a new set of NGK's ordered.

Can't figure it out though - before I did all of this, she was running like a champ.

Any help appreciated.

Matt

post-2049-13667645189593_thumb.jpg

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

SiteNamecopy.jpg