• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some pics of local BMW racing in the 1970s

HarryPR

A friend who prepared and raced BMW's here in Puerto Rico shared these pics on Facebook and I asked him permission to share with the group. Most of these were a little before my time (I bought my first BMW in 1977 qnd most of these from 1974-75), but I enjoyed them thoroughly and hope you do too:

This was one of three Alpina-prepped cars brought into the island. The local dealer passed them through customs as regular 02's. One of the three had pig cheeks.

CarlosMirabalAlpina.jpg

TitoEstrada.jpg

Rally2002intheearly70s.jpg

MandyGonzalez.jpg

Many of the well-heeled local racers bought one year-old cars from U.S. teams, hence the factory-liveried csl and the ex- Peter Gregg Porsche in the second row. Most of these guys also raced at Sebring and Daytona back in the day.

MandyandLuisMendez.jpg

IvanPelegrinaRameyAFB1975.jpg

IvanandGeorgieDeJesus1975ToaBaja.jpg

CesarSierracirca1974.jpg

CesarSierracirca19742.jpg

This pic is from a race at the Dominican Republic. The PR Alpina on the left eventually beat the local one on the right.

CarlosMirabalSanIsidroAirportDR.jpg

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

Incredible photos Harry! Tell your friend thank you...

Is that a fuel filler cap coming out of the rear panel on the pig-cheeked Alpina car?

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

Incredible photos Harry! Tell your friend thank you...

Is that a fuel filler cap coming out of the rear panel on the pig-cheeked Alpina car?

Could be. They ran some 3-hour races and an extra tank might have been added to lengthen the time between pit stops.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

where did they road race on the island?

We've had several race tracks throughout the years. Back in the 70's the main ones were in Anasco on the Western part of the island and in Caguas on the Central area. I lived in Caguas back then, so through the 70's my brothers and I used to go every Sunday, whether it was drag racing, road racing or whatever was going on.

They also did autocrosses at various parking lots in the San Juan metro area and at the U.S. military bases (Ramey and Roosevelt Roads).

At the present there are tracks at Salinas and Ponce (southern part of the island).

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

We've had several race tracks throughout the years. Back in the 70's the main ones were in Anasco on the Western part of the island and in Caguas on the Central area. I lived in Caguas back then, so through the 70's my brothers and I used to go every Sunday, whether it was drag racing, road racing or whatever was going on.

They also did autocrosses at various parking lots in the San Juan metro area and at the U.S. military bases (Ramey and Roosevelt Roads).

At the present there are tracks at Salinas and Ponce (southern part of the island).

well then, now i know what to if i ever get another free weekend in PR! If only I had known when i was spending tons of time at Roosy, SJ and CG Airstation Borinquen (ex-ramey)!

2xM3

The air strip at Roosevelt Roads is basically not being used at the moment. Some groups have tried to get permission to do some autocrossing there with no success. Too bad, because the base is like 20 minutes from home for me.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290