• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Updated Photo Link For Sale $6K 2002 US Automatic 2533531

adawil2002

First a disclaimer: I am not a mechanic or a car appraiser. I do have a great deal knowledge of 2002s and know what to look for. I am reporting the overall condition based on photographs conversations and my impression of driving the car. I have attempted to fairly represent the car and all the good and bad.

Asking price $6,000 OBO

Located Deer Isle, Maine

If you are interested, please e-mail Kendall Violette at nv.violettelane@yahoo.com or phone 207-348-5282 or 207-367-0952

Photos here: https://picasaweb.google.com/109588340598440815768/DeerIsle2002a?feat=directlink

The BMW 2002 US Automatic VIN 2533531 was manufactured on December 4th, 1972 and delivered on December 20th, 1972 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original color was Black, paint code 086.

Overall:

A good car, needs work in areas. Has some more uncommon/sought after parts, deep grills, silver 10 slat center grill, trapezoid mirror. There is rust, not uncommon on a Northeast car, and wholly repairable, I have seen and owned worse. The engine is good, does not burn oil. Drives great, despite replacing brake servo not complete at time of test drive.

If you buy it allow money for repairs over the purchase price, detailed in the pictures and words. It's worth saving, in my opinion.

The car was hit or the previous owner rear ended someone smashing in the front and pushing the radiator into the fan. That was how Kendall Violette found it, due to the overall condition of the car he decided to fix it. He has been buying 2002s for years and 'parting out' the ones that were too far gone to save. He has an extensive parts supply the quality of which is near new. He used parts from his extensive collection to fix the car.

The car was originally Schwarz, Kendall painted it Chaminox, at Nancy's request. It is not perfect, yet is presentable, the hood being the 'roughest' part of the paint work. The trunk was left black. There is over spray which is evident.

All the trim upper and lower is straight. All the bright work around the windows is in good shape, no loss of anodizing. Door seals are in excellent condition and doors close easily and tightly. The car looks good from 2 feet away.

The interior needs to be cleaned and is a bit tired. Driver seat has no horse hair pad left. Carpet needs to be replaced, the driver side has a hole worn through. The driver side seat belt is shot, Kendall said he'd replace it. The car has no radio antenna, which is seldom seen. Kendal has a correct radio with attached speaker he said he would be glad to install, if interested. There is an iPod/Aux plug available on the market that will plug into the back of the Blaupunkt Frankfurt.

The rear tail light lenses are like new, the front turn signals are good, the passenger side has some crazing. All reflectors are new with new rubber.

Engine:

The head was replaced with a new one unnecessarily to fix a miss in cylinder 4. After replacement, the skip was still present. Determined the problem was a vacuum leak with the brake servo, which was being replaced at the time of my inspection.

Brakes:

I did not pull the wheels to examine for leaks or pad/rotor replacement.

Kendall: All new rear wheel cylinders, calipers are good, new flexible lines.

Driving:

The engine is tuned and smooth. The transmission shifts quickly and smoothly from 1st to 2nd with 2nd to 3rd being almost unnoticeable. The suspension is incredibly tight and firm yet comfortable. The steering is responsive smooth and light. The exhaust is quiet.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40