• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

newbie steel wheel color question-68 1600

m4dzl

Were the 13x4.5 steelies (that came with hub caps/wheel covers)on the 1968+ 1600s and 2002s painted the same color as the body from the factory? If not what was the OEM wheel color?

Chris

1968 1600 with ti pistons and ti exhaust manifold, 5sp.Getrag "Onkel Chamonix"

2011 335d M Pkg. Alpen Weiss "Uber Diesel"

2004 X5 "Carlisle"

Gone:

l958 356 Speedster "Stonegrey"

1993 MB 500E 'Silver Arrow'

They were metallic silver. Possibly the closest to OEM color is Wurth Lacquer Spray Metallic Silver. Wurth may have been the original supplier of the paint to the wheel manufacturer, I'm not sure. Wet sand the silver lightly with 400 grade sandpaper, then follow up with Wurth Clear Lacquer and you're very close to the original.

Bob Napier

Thanks Bob.

The reason I ask is that I just came into possession of a 68 1600 and all the rims, including the spare steel wheel are painted the body color--Chamonix. They appear to be original as they require reconditioning/respraying. I was trying to find some original brochures to see what the authentic color should be.

Not questioning your knowledge, but could the 1600s have had body color and the 2002s silver?

Chris

Chris

2004 X5 "Carlisle"

Gone:

Thanks Bob.

The reason I ask is that I just came into possession of a 68 1600 and all the rims, including the spare steel wheel are painted the body color--Chamonix. They appear to be original as they require reconditioning/respraying. I was trying to find some original brochures to see what the authentic color should be.

Not questioning your knowledge, but could the 1600s have had body color and the 2002s silver?

Chris

I've never seen body colored steel wheels in period photography. But it's not real hard to refinish and repaint steel wheels, so I bet that's what happened.

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

the outside, with the back side being black with silver overspray. The wheels were delivered to BMW from Lemmetz (and others) painted black; the factory then painted the outside silver, and let the back stay black. If you can't find the Wurth paint locally, get some Krylon "Dull Aluminum"--it's very close to the original. 2002 wheels were never painted body color; only silver. I still have my '69's original steel wheels down in the basement.

As an aside, the ATS factory alloys were done the same way. They were primered with a light grey primer, then only the front sides were shot with sliver paint; the back sides were primer with silver overspray! I have a NOS alloy wheel and that's exactly how it's painted.

Welcome to the fraternity/sorority, BTW

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks. You both describe paints that seems to have different finishes.

Are the wheels supposed to have a 'flat' or matte' finish or glossy, shiney, or 'polished' appearance?

Chris

2004 X5 "Carlisle"

Gone:

The original wheel color on a 68 was likely 057 Polaris but this was changed out to 090 Polaris neu due to issue with the paint yellowing, if I remember the legend correctly.

As others have said, you can finish them in a variety of ways. I chose to have my set sandblasted, etch primed, painted with 090 Polaris and top coated flat clear for protection. (example below) This and everything below and in between is OK--the all Chamonix wheels was probably just the POs preference, I'd go back to Polaris if it were my car. -Ben

SDC11264.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

Thanks for all the suggestions, now if I could only find some NOS or decent used hub caps, I'd be fine.

Might be interested in those 69 wheels in your basement as well.

Chris

Chris

2004 X5 "Carlisle"

Gone:

Are the wheels supposed to have a 'flat' or matte' finish or glossy, shiney, or 'polished' appearance?

When new, the wheels had what I would call a low gloss. They weren't clear-coated and the finish dulled over time.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

When new, the wheels had what I would call a low gloss. They weren't clear-coated and the finish dulled over time.

When I looked into this... I found essentially the same answer as Bill. Although, many people use clear coat either for protection or because they like the look... I don't believe there was factory clear coat applied. I sampled several potential spray paints, but I was most pleased with Krylon Dull Aluminum. They are also easily touched up when needed. Assuming you are going with the stock hubcaps... very little of the wheel will ever show, right?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

-Marc

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst