• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poll, Public trolls or masked trolls.

tjones02

Lock the FAQ for registered users only  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Lock the FAQ for registered users only

• Continue as is
    • Lock for registered users only

Due to recent Trollings by "BMW2002Fjord" I believe it is high time we ask Steve K about the idea of locking posting abilities FAQ for registered users only.

Other links within each of these.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,359519

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/p,849061

Let's have an open discussion on this subject. Both sides, even if you're against.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think reading should be open to all as this board is a tremendous resource, however the priviledge to post should require registration.

I'm in total agreement with this. It is too great of a resource to lock out completely.

Tyrel

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I think reading should be open to all as this board is a tremendous resource, however the priviledge to post should require registration.

I'm in total agreement with this. It is too great of a resource to lock out completely.

Tyrel

Exactly my point, sorry I worded it wrong in the first place.

ask Steve K about the idea of locking posting abilities FAQ for registered users only.

If you post to the MyE28 forum you can't without signing in first. http://www.mye28.com/

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Yeah, I've never really understood why someone can post here without registering... and why it doesn't default to the thread-bump style. For the former, it seems like it would encourage unscrupulous posters - especially in the for sale forum. If you don't have an account, I'm not about to buy something from you...

I prefer VBulletin-style forums, but the FAQ is somewhat refreshing for its relative simplicity.

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

I am ABSOLUTELY for requiring registration in order to post. Read all you like as a lurker.

I HATE alias'...used almost exclusively by spineless fucks in order to talk shit to registered FAQers.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

i agree you should be required to register to post...however that will not prevent trolls from bringing out the crybabies like is the case here...what will stop a troll from registering then calling jones a piece of crap....?

now...my opinion...grow a pair tom, stop spamming all the forums with your grand copy and paste and just ignore the crap...this is as much your fault, your mess, for allowing others to piss you off like they apparently have...let it die

I am amazed that anyone can post without registering - I voted for locking it up to only allow members to post... I hope that we can preserve the FAQ and the high level of discourse...

WTB: 1.6L Aft (cyl 3&4) or Set of Side Draft Manifolds - Dellorto parts - Littlejohn BMX

I will say I think if we lock it up people will just make new accounts and just do the same. The trolls will always find a way to troll.... But yes PLEASE default the BUMP feature....

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I first have to say that BMW2002Fjord's behavior is inexcusable and what he did/said about Tom was CRAP!

But, I am against internet censorship especially in a forum. Apologies to Tom, but I have to vote to keep it as is.

Who gets to decide if someone warrants being banned or censored? Is it a slip of etiquette, or because of their unwelcome or unpopular posts or ideas? This is a slippery slope Gentlemen...

First, bans or registration-to-post won't work, Trolls will ALWAYS find a way back in - it is unenforceable.

Second, Trolls need to confront, they gain strength when people reply to their posts and specifically to them.

Ignoring is the key, it is like Kryptonite to them! If you want to rid the forum of a troll, just IGNORE him.

Any reply whatever, just eggs them on. As I write this, BMW2002Fjord is sitting back and giggling that he was able to stir such controversy. He's reading every reply to the prior threads and every post to this one, and gaining momentum.

Censorship will not deny him access, or modify his behavior. Isolation will!

I know it's a pain in the *ss to even have to read his replies, but then just don't. That will kill the beast surer than any mass hysteria and kangaroo court style censorship, believe me.

Now, let's drive that wooden stake in his heart and make this the last reply to this thread, topic or BMW2002Fjord.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Honestly.. I've been on both sides of this situation. Obviously there is an issue here on this forum.

Also I've been on the other side. Recently some wheels popped up on the NASA forum. I couldn't get access to the guy posting because I had to have at least 5 approved posts. The wheels ended up going to someone else because it took days to get my posts approved.

There needs to be a balance. I'm a big fan of getting the 2002FAQ updated. I feel a bit of community here, but we could use some upgrades. What can be done here to get this board to the next stage? If it's database management, I can help with that. If it's money, I'm sure we can figure something out. I'd be willing to sell some throttle linkages and donate the profits!

1968 BMW 1600 US VIN 1560713

manufactured on October 2nd, 1967

http://mybmw1600-2.blogspot.com/