• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best spark plug?

UroTrash

I searched but could not get an answer; is there a consensus about the best spark plug to use in a 2002?

I have a 1970 and awaiting the arrival of a 1975, if that makes a difference in choice of plug.

Thanks guys!

1970 Nevada 2002 Survivor

1975 Golf 2002 Project

1972 Atlantik 2002tii

I have had no issues with NGK, used to run the Bosch but the quality became kind of hit and miss. Stay away from the platinum variety as they are primarily meant for higher voltage systems and generally do not do well in our cars.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

I have had no issues with NGK, used to run the Bosch but the quality became kind of hit and miss. Stay away from the platinum variety as they are primarily meant for higher voltage systems and generally do not do well in our cars.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

Is there a particular # or heat range you recommend? Would the year car (1970 vs 1975) make a difference? thanks!!

1970 Nevada 2002 Survivor

1975 Golf 2002 Project

1972 Atlantik 2002tii

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

Is there a particular # or heat range you recommend? Would the year car (1970 vs 1975) make a difference? thanks!!

Also the numbers for the heat range on the NGKs run opposite from most plugs. The higher the number the colder the plug. Also do not be afraid to run the plugs with the resistor, it makes little if any impact on the performance of the plug, even in line with the stock plug wires/bakelite resistors.

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

I run BP5ES's and they run great. A hair on the hot side but thats fine, my car burns oil anyways...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Nope, no consensus.

BP6ES for me, never had a problem. Stock #7333, I seem to remember.

There were some pix of Bosch plugs that had broken in half a few years

back- that just didn't impress me much. Especially after my Bosch plug

wires fell apart on their own... after 3 months...

And if you run resistor plugs, wires AND rotor, you might start to have

weak spark in a stock system. All the rotors have some resistor in them,

so I run the non- resistor version.

fwiw.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I spoke with the Bosch customer service guys yesterday afternoon about the difference between W8DC and WR8DC plugs. They claim to have done extensive testing with no adverse effects on performance with the resistors in the plugs (WR8DC). The resistors are for ground noise suppression and, according to Bosch, don't negatively affect the performance of the plug whatsoever.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog