• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this car worth it?

kittiekate

Please excuse my lack of knowledge of 2002s, but basically the entire car has been 90% restored, it's in mint condition, except for the seller said it had an over carbuereted engine and it uses up more gas than it should. 1) what does this mean? 2) what will I need to do? and 3) is it worth the $2500 he's asking for the car?

2500 for a 90% restored 2002!? Hell yes. Go ahead just make sure the car has no rust and the engine is fine.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

We need to see pictures. "90% restored" can mean just about anything, by who and with what? You can hardly buy all new MobileTradition brightwork for an 02 for $2,500 - so this asking price really sounds like a tired old BMW with lots of bondo and a backyard sprayjob. (not that there is anything wrong with this)

Overcarbed means that he installed a giant carb that feeds too much fuel into a stock engine--it probably looks nice, but doesn't do anything for power or fuel economy.

Post pictures and as much info as you can find and the FAQ team can help you determine value.

-B

--> 1968 2002 <--

We'd need a lot more information to be able to advise you on what "90% restored" means and on how much the other 90% of the restoration might cost you ;-)

"Over-carbureted" probably means that it's a stock engine with Weber side-drafts or something.

If you could find pictures, they're worth the usual 1,000 words.

David Roach

Molly (Inka 1973 2002)

Bobby (Sapphire 2004 330xi - the new kid)

Root Boy (White 2002 Tacoma)

If it is REALLY 90% it's a bargain though of course would be very rare for that price VERY.

The carbs I wouldn't worry much unless they are flooding the engine so much the oil gets contaminated with fuel.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E23 730 1978

It really is restored 90%.

He gave me every detail, which some of it went over my head, but he replaced the drive shaft, cooler, water pump, repainted, restored the interior... it looks as though it just came off the boat new... I'll post pictures later. Also, there is no rust whatsoever. And he said the bottom was painted to match the car? Sorry I'm not too specific.

Well, if it runs and drives smoothly and really has no rust (or crash damage), it's worth $2500, probably a lot more.

David Roach

Molly (Inka 1973 2002)

Bobby (Sapphire 2004 330xi - the new kid)

Root Boy (White 2002 Tacoma)

I paid 2k for a not running gray market 1970 so for me it sounds like a great deal!

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E23 730 1978

But also, I was just wondering if there was anything I should look for or hear for on or in the car that could show serious age and a serious problem with this car? I'm going to see it later tonight, so I don't want to be completely oblivious.

kk - I would suggest you go up to the right to the JUMP TO list and drop down to "Cars" and check out some of the listings there. That'll give you a little idea of what you're looking at this evening and some of what to look for.

As suggested above, get a bunch of pics this evening (including engine bay, trunk, and interior) and post them here. Then, some of the more than 8,000 members on this board can give you some unbiased evaluations.

Hope you soon join our '02 enthusists - we're usually a fun bunch.

Bob Napier

I would make a few phone calls....Someone you know will know a reputable mechanic/gearheaded person that could go with you for a more educated set of eyes and ears. $50 bill could be worth several thousands worth of grief/urequited love, depending on what the true condition is. Everyone here (well, mostly...) will be happy to help, comment, etc with some pictures. And also, what everyone above said...Best of luck!

Dave V. in NC

You don't say where you are, and that's a pretty big factor...

For $2500, all I'd be looking at was to make absolutely sure there's not

a lot of hidden rust under the new paint. Beyond that , it's a great deal.

Especially if you don't mind diving into things, everything else on these

cars can be fixed by you and me. I'd find someone who really knows

bodywork, and have them look. Filler's fine, if it's done right, but it's

the prep beneath it that HAS to be done adequately.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

It really is restored 90%.

He gave me every detail, which some of it went over my head, but he replaced the drive shaft, cooler, water pump, repainted, restored the interior... it looks as though it just came off the boat new... I'll post pictures later. Also, there is no rust whatsoever. And he said the bottom was painted to match the car? Sorry I'm not too specific.

mind that "restored" can mean very different things to different people, and that not everyone is scrupulously honest in how they represent cars they're selling. Shiny new paint can hide a multitude of problems, including extensive rust - it's not hard to stuff rusty rocker panels full of anything from wadded up newspaper to expanding foam, slide a strip of metal screen inside the rust hole, and cover everything up with 3/8" of bondo. Everything LOOKS fine until the rust bubbles start popping out a few months later.

A selling price of $2500 is more than reasonable for a car that's had as much work done as you've described IF the work was done to a good standard - unfortunately, "if it looks too good to be true, it usually is" all too often applies in cases like this. If possible, try to have someone who's knowledgable about '02s do a pre-purchase inspection before you commit to the purchase.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

agree with Toby -

"restored 90%" -

but what is hidding under all the new paint and filler

is your job to find out.

and then there's driving it - - -

another story from the cosmetics

braking, starting, steering, electrical indicators,

noises, vibraions, smoking, throttle response,

fell at 75 mph ?

happy hunting

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m