• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horns of a dilemma

EcoAuto

The horn in my '75 02 sounds pathetically weak. I'd like to replace it but wondering which of the 5 available horn options listed in RealOEM.com I might want to go with. Living in Montana, horns are mostly useful for yelling at stray cows to get off the road. There are different models from Hella, Bosch, Fiamm at different frequencies - 510 Hz, 410 Hz, 335 Hz. Any horn experts out there who know the pros and cons of the various offerings (or with a link to an FAQ on the subject)?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2214&mospid=47140&btnr=61_1128&hg=61&fg=40

Ron Gompertz

Bozeman, MT
74 BMW 2002tii
Fjord # 037 / blue interior

I have a set of Fiamm Air horns on my car to keep people, animals, and the like out of my way. My fiamms are from 1976 but the Harbor freight ones are pretty close. Love using them in Seattle :D

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

intact Fiamm horn set in a wrecking yard - I've picked up multiple sets from Pick & Pull for prices between $10 & $30, and every one has been in good working order (last set I got came off a '75).

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

Stupid name, great horn = Wolo Bad Boy. It's a compact designdual air horn. The trumpets are formed around the compressor body. Nice and small. I mounted mine behind the vertical hood support behind the grill.

Shop around. They show up at Harbor Freight for $30 sometimes.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

time ago, the smaller the car, the louder the horns need to be. My air horns came in handy when I drove my Renault 4CV to Mexico City in 1967--down there, the loudest horn wins at intersections!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

and european sounding.

John

how does europe sound?

Well..... the horn is one continuous sound, but it makes me think of European cop cars... deee do dee do....

Also like the alert sounds played as Steve McQueen came into the pits in his 917.

Ah, the sounds of europe.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

... deee do dee do....

Wolo also makes one they call the Turkey Warbler.

They have sound bites on their website wolo-mfg.com. If anything, the sound bites are fun to annoy your coworkers for a few minutes.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I'm glad I'm not the only one to ask about horns.

See my post:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,304533/start,0/postdays,0/postorder,asc/highlight,honk%2Bhorn/

CD has some nice comments about the different frequencies and how to give them a tune-up.

Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver