• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

T/S relay

bmwcliff

Driving the other day all the turn signals were working as normal, today nothing. Just curious as to what could cause this, other than a failure of the relay, which is expensive I believe. Would a burned out bulb cause the whole thing not to work? And if I need a relay, whats the best, cheapest, place to get it? Thanks.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

A burnt bulb would make your turn signals flicker quicker but it wouldn't take down all your turn lamp system.

We can get you that relay for sure the price depends on which year your car is or how many prongs the relay has.

Cheers!

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

rockauto.com has it on special for just $18.34. The to your door price was about $21.50. Part arrived in an aftermarket box but was a genuine BMW part with Roundel, made in Germany.

Manufacturer: BECK/ARNLEY

Part No: 2030032

Notes: [Flasher]; Original Equipment Type;

http://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclefeeds.php?carcode=1010787&m=wc&l=en&html=true

--> 1968 2002 <--

Hey Cliff!

The turn signals do rely on a functioning hazard switch to work properly. Either a) the switch I installed in your car last week is faulty or B) there's a loose / damaged wire behind it. It's VERY VERY tight in there with the AC system in that console!) Removing the left side of the center console (phillips screws) will reveal it on your AC equipped car.

Are you sure they're not working outside the car (and perhaps a bad ground is keeping only the green dash indicator from flashing?) That's a common problem. See if the hazard switch is functioning, too.

Check fuse(s).

I've never personally had a flasher relay fail... so I'm curious! Sometimes if they're not clipped securely to the sheet metal, they'll fluke out (I think it may intentionally ground through it's own spring clip!) Located under dash on left kick panel above hood release. Says something like "4 x 21" on it ie: 4 x 21 watt bulbs = 4 way flasher.

Shoot me an e mail with your findings and we'll figure it out! If the hazard switch is the culprit - it's 100% under warranty, naturally! :^)

Cheers!

Paul

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Thanks for the info guys, Paul, I already ordered a relay from Rockauto, they were working fine both inside and out the other day, but just quit on both ends, so I will check this out and let you know, its an old car and having to replace stuff doesnt really bother me. And by the way Paul, the more I have been driving it, the better its been running, starts right up every morning, and I've been driving it like I would a rental car.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.