• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 2002tii VIN 2762947

SFbay2002

Hi all,

I purchased a '73 tii not too long ago and I am trying to find out some additional info on the car if it is out there. The previous owner did not know much about the car but that it was purchased on ebay somewhere close to San Jose, CA they believe sometime in 2005. Before that, no idea. The plate on the car is circa 1985 so it has been around the area for awhile. I just want to see if maybe anyone knew of the car before.

Chamonix w/ blue interior.

My wife had a white/blue 73tii. I can't recall the VIN right now.

Distinguishing items on her old car-Behr AC unit, non-sunroof, the PO to us had stuck on some small roundels (wheel cap type) just behind the rear wing windows.

We bought it around 1989, sold it around 1993.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

(nt)

Interesting Mike...that means my '73tii was the 144th built for '73 (pretty early car).

So, 2762630 was #1?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

There is only one record in the DMV files for the last smog inspection in 1998, and it failed.....

http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/pubwebquery/Vehicle/PubTstQry.aspx

Edward

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit * 06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd * 73 Mustang Convertible 351C * 11 Aston Martin Rapide V12 * 15 VW Touareg * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

It was sold Apr '05 by Paul Schuster who was the selling Agent for Beyond2, Burlingame, CA.

Then on Ebay May this year.

Sorry, have no earlier info.

Hi all,

I purchased a '73 tii not too long ago and I am trying to find out some additional info on the car if it is out there. The previous owner did not know much about the car but that it was purchased on ebay somewhere close to San Jose, CA they believe sometime in 2005. Before that, no idea. The plate on the car is circa 1985 so it has been around the area for awhile. I just want to see if maybe anyone knew of the car before.

Chamonix w/ blue interior.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

book--is 2762630--that car is here in Dayton, undergoing a very long and painful restoration--it was VERY rusty. Granada red, no sunroof. And it has all the little 73 changes--bumpers, etc.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

SFBay,

I am going through the same exercise with my 72tii. With what little info the PO gave me and 02Les' info i am starting to piece together the history. Start with the states you know. Contact the DMV or look at their sites online for title/reg info/call them to see if they can tell you what state it came from and work backwards. I was able to get info from Fl and Ohio for free and had to give $5 to PA to track mine. Mine was at one time an e-bay sale also.

Thanks guys. This was some helpful starting info for me.

John - I have tried with CA DMV but all they had record for is back to when the car was sold in '05. It is odd to me because they plates are still in tact from the '80's. I will keep chugging at it though and hopefully I can uncover how many owners there really were!

Les - Great info thanks. It's funny, I went to Beyond 2 to meet with Kwan way back when I started looking for '02's. That dealer vibe just was not me and wanted to find a car straight out from the owner. They had some good cars though.

The crazy thing is the smog info. They changed the laws here in CA sometime after that were all car 1976 and newer had to be smogged. Back in the '90's I remember I always bought cars before '65 so they wouldn't have to be smogged. That was actually the same gas station I take me current BMW to be smogged. Small world... but based on that info it makes me think that the car sat for some time, someone bought it in '98 and tried smog it and couuldn't get it done. The tags have alway been in Decemeber so it would have been smogged then if there was record in CA. The car must have sat since then till '05 I guess.

-Louis