• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Multiplying to-dos

saaron

It seems like the more jobs/fixed I do on my 02, the bigger my to-do list grows.

I've been ticking things off my list for the past two years, and I think there is more on the list now than there was then.

The more I do, the more I need to do?

Has anyone ever finished their list? Does it just keep going and multiplying?

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

One of the first impressions I had from reading here on the FAQ, about owning a 2002, before I had one, was a statement that almost turned me off to owning one completely.. I don't know who or why it was written, but he said something like.. " blabbdy- blahh ..just fixed this and then blabby blah... ITS AWAYS SOMETHING!!!"

That last bit almost stopped me. But then I remembered it was the same thing with the other old cars I had owned in the past, and I soon bought my car.

so I don't think the list ends... At least not until you have basically replaced everything, and repaired every nick and rust spot..

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

there is no such thing as a "finished" work list for an old car or a restoration. its is part of the hobby. if it wasn't we would be part of the numb suv or hybrid masses...;-)

i break my car work into phases. after 2.5 years, almost done with phase three on my 75. already have worklist for phase 4...

phase one - suspension(every moving part on the bottom of the car), brakes and kerman M10 with several sizes of DCOE's

phase two - guttedd the interior to bare metal and started over.

phase three - M2 madness

phase four - trackify the interior (roll bar, harnesses, rear seat delete, shell front seats)

2xM3

Mine's not done, but the list has been shortened quite a bit.

Still on the list:

5-speed conversion

Working blower motor

Working a/c

Vintage radio that works well -- to the point of actually having tunes!

Paint & body work to erase blemishes

Install refurbished late alloy wheels

???

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I'm with you guys - it's all part of the experience of having a cool old car.

And I do think if it was ever "done", I do think I might feel like moving on to something else.

I just think it is funny when I go out to the garage and knock two fixes out, and then see three more things that I really should do.

One thing I got over a little while ago is the perfection impulse - at some point I'm OK with it not being perfect, and just DRIVE IT.

Great thoughts all - thanks for the replies. Please excuse me...I have to go out to the garage...

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Your below list is missing a number of items.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

there is no such thing as a "finished" work list for an old car or a restoration. its is part of the hobby. if it wasn't we would be part of the numb suv or hybrid masses...;-)

i break my car work into phases. after 2.5 years, almost done with phase three on my 75. already have worklist for phase 4...

phase one - suspension(every moving part on the bottom of the car), brakes and kerman M10 with several sizes of DCOE's

phase two - guttedd the interior to bare metal and started over.

phase three - M2 madness

phase four - trackify the interior (roll bar, harnesses, rear seat delete, shell front seats)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Whatever you do, don't buy a 2nd '02, or a 3rd......

I have to refurbish the Touring (will be the 2nd time)

Get my Blue '76 project really finished.

Get my latest Siena '76 to a running project.

Fix Da Beater when it needs (fortunately it keeps on ticking).

Part out and get rid of the other Siena '76.

I have to collect parts for 4 '02s. I need to sell one or two, but parting is....

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

In my experience, the list is a result of getting your needs and wants confused.

Wanting that lowered, flared, M2 rocket is not the same as needing decent brakes and starting without some voodoo ritual involving quotations from L. Ron Hubbard to be a daily driver. Safe and reliable is a good start but not nearly as much fun smoke in all four (upgrade to five) forward gears.

Hence, the list.

If we learn from our mistakes does that mean I have to make them all?

73 CS Polaris
76 2002a Sahara

I admire everyone for doing the hard work, but I think the idea with 02s is to have one complelely stock, one with Turbo look, one Tii, one M20 and one with body kit. CHOICES!!!!

2002 enthusiast

2000 M5 sold

2007 335I

and afew 02s

1985 MB 380SL 43k all original, no paint work

Whatever you do, don't buy a 2nd '02, or a 3rd......

I have to collect parts for 4 '02s. I need to sell one or two, but parting is....

among the most sage advise one will ever read on the FAQ...

i made that mistake early and am dealing with the consequences since.

and i recently added a vintage truck to the mix....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa