• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yet another 13" tire question

Bruce

Sorry to add one more to the thousands of these already out there, but, here I go in any case.

For those who have run both 165R13 and 185/70/13 summer rubber on stock 13x5 steel wheels, which did you prefer, and why?

I'd like something a little wider than stock, but am thinking that 185 will be a bit wide for 5" wheels.

Closely related, I'm considering either the Vredestein Sprint+ or T-Tracs for these respective sizes, so any comments on those are appreciated.

Thanks.

Bruce

'75 2002 - Fjord

185/70 on 5" rim is the proper limit

for side wall support

205's on 5" wide rim would be like diving

wearing your FAT brothers swim trunks

and coming up bare arsed!

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Well...if 165 is too skinny for your tastes and 185 makes you nervous, why not choose the obvious solution: 175-70-13s? That's what I run on the F Bomb and I LOVE THEM!

Paul Wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

And if you're all *SO* worried about having your speedometers be accurate (hahahahaha! On a 2002? Are you kidding me?) I'd be happy if my TACH was accurate at idle! - 2002 tachs are notoriously "off" when checked against a real live timing light.

My findings:

According to my GPS at least - my speedometer with the 175-70s is within 3 mph of my actual road speed. I was absolutely AMAZED it would be that close with ANY tire size.

Hope this helps!

Paul

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

The best tires I have used thus far are Bridgestone Turanza 185/70 R13 - they last well and are good in dry and wet. I have to make a real effort to get them to squeal but less effort to make my passengers squeal. I don't find the steering heavy but then again the PO had 15 inchers on so everything has been light since I put the 13s on...