• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

50K service questions for MINI Cooper S

SteveJ

Yeah, There are MINI sites out there that ~may~ have the info, but I hate digging through all the responses that all say "take it to the dealer". Most of us 2002 owners are the DIY type.

Our '08 Clubman S has passed the 50k mark and the little computer is screaming for attention by saying SERVICE. I've had good results with the local dealer doing all the service on our MINI, but now it is out of pocket.

The 50k service for the R55 MINI includes what?

Oil & filter, cabin filter, air filter, visual inspection, and probably a hook up to the Big BMW computer to read any codes?

Any other stuff they'll do? And at what cost?

I was just hoping Bentley would have the R55/R56 book out by the time our warranty ended. I'm more than capable of any of those tasks except for the computer hook-up and resetting an SII. Can't be anything as bad as replacing the plugs on a E46.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Can't be anything as bad as replacing the plugs on a E46.

Tough call. E46 plugs/valve cover and M-B V-6 engine with 12 plugs are both tough. Never looked at the guts of a Mini under that plastic cover.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

The only thing you could miss out on is if there was a revision in one of the systems. Typically they will do a re-flash if there are any updates/service campaigns.

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Can't be anything as bad as replacing the plugs on a E46.

Tough call. E46 plugs/valve cover and M-B V-6 engine with 12 plugs are both tough. Never looked at the guts of a Mini under that plastic cover.

Nah - E46 plugs and valve cover gasket aren't that bad.

There is no "50,000" service.

For 60,000 service on an R50 Cooper S is Inspection II.

At Inspection II - you should:

Replace air filter

replace ribbed drive belt (60,000 mi)

replace brake fluid (every 2 years)

replace coolant (every 4 years)

replace O2 sensor (every 100,000 mi)

replace plugs (every 100,000 mi)

I need to do coolant in Mama's R50.

Resetting the SII is easy too.

For the R50:

Turn ignition to position 0 (steering locked)

Press and hold trip reset button

Turn ignition to position 1 (steering unlocked). Within 5 seconds - display shows current status.

Release trip reset button.

Press and hold trip reset button for 5 seconds to change to reset mode. Display flashes "rst"

Press reset button again. Current service requirement is re-set and display shows new status for 5 seconds.

My big thing - I want to pull and clean the fuel injectors - but I can't figure out how to get that big stupid plastic cover off!!!

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Two add'l. things to consider. 1) Belt idler bearings or assys. should be checked, since the belts that drive the alternator, compressor(s), etc. are under lots of pressure. 2) Change the transmission fluid...even though there will be a sticker saying to never do this. Used Redline D4 for the manual transaxle. I don't own a MINI, but a friend works on them.

See? This is why I come to the FAQ.

Inspection-II at 60k. That's the info I needed. (I think my tii is due for Inspection-XLII.) I may go to the dealer for this service, since they won't be doing all that much. They also need to reset the flag for our rear fog light to work- they disconnected the lamp module during the last service and didn't click the flag = no rear fog lamp. Ugh, electronics.

I'll put it on the ticker for the belt, pullies, coolant, etc for 60k. Maybe Bentley will have the R55/R56 book out by then. This is the same basic items I am getting ready to tackle on the E46 so my son can learn a bit about mechanicals.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

If your service light is on - you probably just need inspection I - which is oil and looking at all of the wear items (like brake pads). Well - and brake fluid every 2 years. Remember - BMW does maintenance in 15000 mile increments.

Not that I follow the Mini maintenance guidelines - I change the R50's oil every 7500 miles (instead of every 15000).

Good Luck.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.