• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help...

Blue2002

reapply, let it sit and double nut it. Can I say that here?

I assume your talking of the exhaust studs.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

They should be studs...not bolts. If you just want to remove the nuts and allow removal of the downpipe, I recommend heat...at *least* MAP gas if you don't have access to hotter gas torches. Get 'em hot, then use a long extension and 6 point sockets (NOT 12 point!) Don't mess with removing the studs unless you have to...and then, I'd recommend taking the entire manifold off the car. Not always fun.

Some nuts are 14mm, some 15mm, and some 16 or 17mm....depending on what previous installer used. The current ones sold by BMW for this application are Copper clad (this is a GOOD thing!) and 14mm I think...making subsequent removal much easier.

HTH!

Paul Wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

I think mine are 15mm (socket size). One broke so I replaced it with a bolt.

Use a long 1/2" extension and big ratchet or breaker bar from underneath after penetrant/heat application.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"