• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002tii runs rough

Parkertii

I recently had my kfisch pump rebuilt, and the fuel injectors cleaned and tested. The ignition has also been gone through to make sure its in good shape, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, condenser, and points.

But the car still runs very rough. When the car is running the gas pedal also has to be slightly pressed to keep it running.

I think that the timing may be off on the k-fisch pump, how do i tell what position the pump is at? how do i set it to top dead center and line it up with the engine? Also does the pump line up with cylinder number 1 on the engine every rotation or if its every other rotation?

does any one have any other ideas on why it could be running so roughly?

1972 2002tii- Cannibalized

1985 318i- Retired

1974 2002tii- daily driver (summer)

1999 323 e46- daily driver (winter)

the pump timing is 'not critical' meaning is can be off a tooth

but still run smoothly. That said it is installed at TDC and that does matter.

Your poor running is more an idle Co% issue.

AND

Valve adjustments

Compression test

and Fuel Pressure check are needed first

before any other adjustments or parts replacements

System throttle control linkage follows, then idle Co% adjustment

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Crank spins twice for every KF revolution, just like cam. Look at number of teeth on crank pulley vs. KF pulley to see this. To set KF timing:

1. Set engine at TDC on number one cylinder. (Crank pulley notch aligns with mark on KF pulley plastic cover, cam mark straight up, both number 1 valves closed.)

2. Align KF pulley with mark on KF front cover. On my tii the alignment is off by about 1/3 of a tooth. Done.

Was engine running rough before KF rebuild? More detail helpful--all rpm, low/high rpm, what is idle set at?

How old is distributor? Does ball jump around at steady timing idle? If so it is worn. Inspect all linkages and return springs, including inside tuna can. Does throttle plate move freely?

Electrical includes checking for good ground. Of course compression and leakdown tests after valve adjust.

If not electrical could be fuel--per CD check pressure. Also check all tii fuel screens/filters. (a) inside tank pickup, (B) small screen before tii electric pump (not all have them, © fuel filter, (d) small cylindrical screen inside banjo bolt on front of KF. Check hard line under car and make sure no kinks/dents.

Fred '74tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Did you ensure the rebuilt KF pump was properly synchronized to the throttle body?

Are your (3) linkage rods in good shape?

Is the plastic cup missing from the KF pump?

Since you indicate the engine dies unless you keep your foot on the gas pedal, I'm thinking you don't have the pump and throttle body set-up correctly.

ps: I hope you put some oil in the rebuilt pump before you started the engine.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

To time the pump to the motor, get the motor to TDC than, with the cogged belt off of the cogged pulley on the Kugelfischer, turn the cogged pulley so the mark on the cogged pulley lines up with the mark on the front cover. I have those marks painted white.

Slip the cogged belt back on.

3Mar063.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5