• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Cooper S afficianados on this site?

KrautByTrade

Looking at a '71 Cooper S, but I need a little advice from some pros...

Here's a link to the ad (with piss–poor pics):

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2480785778.html

My basic questions/concerns:

• Is the car worth the asking price if it's not ridiculously rusty? (keep in mind...the car has NO TITLE)

• Would the fenders & 1/4's have been cut for those flares?

• General things to look for when I check it out...

Thanks!

Polaris '71 2002tii Touring

DS '88 M3

Agave '73 2002

e46 Touring

Titanium 05 X3 Si

touringtiiweb.jpg

No title would be of concern to me. If you would consider a long distance purchase, I have a friend with a beautifully restored real Cooper S in almond green. Lat time I checked he was asking $18K but it is a super car ready to show or drive. I can get you his contact information if you would like. Just email me at 2double02@gmail.com.

1960 Austin Healey Sprite | 1974 Ford Bronco | 1974 Porsche 911 | 1989 Mustang GT | 1995 Porsche 911 | 2017 Porsche 911 | Always in Search of a BMW 2002 

I was just reading a "buyer's guide" in one of the Brit car magazines over the weekend, it's probably still on the shelf in bookstores, and the Mini was in the lower left corner of the cover.

I remember the article saying you have to be careful with clones of the "S" but it had what to look for.

If you get it, please post about it. Or, just e-mail me about it. I plan to buy one at some point. I've read quite a bit about them. But there's no teacher like ownership.

'72 Atlantik (RIP)

'02 E46 xiT with MT!

'67 Beetle

'69 Westy

Those are the old style GT large flares and most likely they just screwed them onto the sheet metal without altering it. Once you start modifying the sheet metal, some additional fabrication is required to keep the stability and integrity of the body (body parts were "seamed" together on these cars). It's a monoque body without a frame, the suspesion is held within "subframes", so any significant rust in critical areas is a problem.

It's possible that it is a real 71' S, that was updated with the large flares and wheels &tires or it could be a regular newer Mini backdated to import into the US. Tough to tell from those pics. Looks like it has a pop-up aftermarket sunroof installed. If you didn't wnat that, you would need to put a new roof panel on $$.

Really depends what you want to do with the car. It could be a fun run around vehicle even if it's not a real "S" depending on what he really wants to sell it for. I had a 67' MK1 "S" for 18 years which I sold back in 2006'. Probably should have kept it, but found my tii.

Garry

03' Mini Cooper S

73 2002tii A4 (sold )

67 Mini Coooper S (sold 3/06)

Though I currently own a 61 Austin Mini, and had previously owned a 66 Cooper S, I can't say from the pictures if it's a genuine Cooper.

Certainly the flare and wheels are not Cooper S, but they can be changed as pointed out previously. I would be concerned how much work has been done in the wheels arches to fit those wheels. They look like later MPi style arches, but don't have the notch at the top for the reflector as most MPis do.

Engine numbers can tell you a bit about whether it's a real powerplant, as would carbs, and some specifics about the block and transmissions. As well as the VIN number from it, but we all know they can be faked.

I'd run over to minimania.com and check their message board to see if anyone is on to it yet. They're pretty good about sniffing out fakes, and there are probably board members near by who can or already have looked.

A Mini is fun no matter what, but, paying premium for a supposed Cooper isn't.

I like mine, and it's not an S...

Good luck!

1976 BMW 2002

1961 Austin Mini

1983 BMW 320i