• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which radiator option for HIGH Temp climate?

johns1974

I've recently moved to the desert in California and all of July/Aug are basically well over 100 degrees every day. My car (1974 '02 - mostly stock) always ran a little warm but now is going to cook. Which option/upgrade do you think might be best?

1. 3 core upgrade of my existing radiator which is still solid (approx $250 at a local shop)

2. Ireland Eng upgraded radiator ($325)

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-cooling/02alumrad.html

3. BavAuto 320i radiator upgrade ($269 + shipping)

I am not opposed to going away from stock (my car has a different motor than it was born with and will never win concours) and my primary incentive is getting something that really works. To me, the difference in $$$ is negligible for something that will work. Whatever I go with, I'll be sure to use water wetter. The car is used for fun and I'd like to be very confident in the cooling capacity if I go for a run over the Angeles Crest... I don't want to warp a head or ruin a head gasket trying to get back home. Thanks for any opinions/tips and sharing experiences!

'74 2002 (Non-Op)

'74 2002 (Good to go)

Get a fan shroud from a later 02, a Silicon Garage Radiator, larger "tropical fan", WaterWetter, and a 71 degree thermostat. You'll never have heat, but should stay cool in the desert.

Good luck. -Ben

Call this guy for the stock three row core treatment:

Mark Preisendorf

Silicon Garage 02

SiliconGarage02@gmail.com

510-507-2002

--> 1968 2002 <--

i've gotten mixed information on whether a 400mm "tropical" fan will fit with a '76 fan shroud... Anyone know for sure? Or is a 360mm fan with a shroud better than a 400mm alone?

Thanks for the quick response!

'74 2002 (Non-Op)

'74 2002 (Good to go)

I'm not an expert, but if you have a meter stick and a car with a shroud, you can check it first. I ran a tropical fan and a 71 degree thermostat to battle a heating problem, it didn't help that much, so I got a Silicon Garage radiator. At that point, the gauge didn't go much beyond the blue so I installed the smaller fan and it seemed to be a better fit. I didn't use a shroud with either setup.

--> 1968 2002 <--

I say whatever on the fan and the shroud. They both help if you are running the stock radiator, but if you live where it is REALLY hot, not so much.

Just get the bigger radiator. I recommend the Ingraham invented Silicon Garage model. And when I say bigger, I mean more capacity.

I have one here in Houston (where it's not a dry heat), and I ended up putting in the 80 degree C thermostat because I didn't think the oil temperature was getting high enough to drive out the moisture. Drove the car last weekend (96 F), and the temp got up to the halfway mark and stopped. Perfect if you ask me.

Ken

• Like 1

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Guest Anonymous

An area shop modified my stock radiator and made it a three-tube. The problem is that, although the shop owner said it would fit, it doesn't.

It's too thick, front to back. If you can use it, it's yours, like new, for $100.

Fran Ferrance

Ferrance@aol.com

Wrightwood CA

1972 2002

If you want another option...electric fan....12" Spal pusher fan, stock radiator....NO ISSUES. I was in Arizona 118 degree heat and driving 90 with the temp less than half way up.....

• Thanks 1

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

get rid of the mechanical fan and go electric. Once you get a wider core, the problem is the plastic fan flexes at high RPM. The first super fun 7k rpm shift you do or miss shift and you'll find that plastic fan has reached out and touched the radiator.

I ended up putting in the 80 degree C thermostat because I didn't think the oil temperature was getting high enough to drive out the moisture

2nd this, running the engine too cool all the time isn't good for it. If the cooling capacity is sufficient, a 71 deg tstat will only hurt. I'd say likely any of the radiators you quoted and a medium profile spal 12" electric fan as was suggested would be more than enough. I have the thin one on a 10yr old 320 rad and it's done fine in 95 deg heat. I expect it to be enough for the 100 deg day we're having today as well.

1976 2002 daily driver

Madison Motorsports - http://www.mmsports.org

If you want another option...electric fan....12" Spal pusher fan, stock radiator....NO ISSUES. I was in Arizona 118 degree heat and driving 90 with the temp less than half way up.....

Which model Spal fan please, and did you set it up to auto-start at a certain temp?

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

I have the nameless performance radiator (which was prototyped on my car): http://namelessperformance.com/products/16022002/bmw-2002-fabricated-2-row-radiator/ and the stock fan, that solved my cooling issues and fits using the factory locations and hoses (unlike the 320i option). If I lived in an even hotter climate and was having more trouble I'd consider replacing the stock fan with a big electric fan that's on a variable-speed controller.