• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BBS gold-esq wheel paint source?

Edit: Eastwood gold looks like shit, not even close to any of the old gold colored wheels from the 60's-80's. The color of the wheel on the can is no where near what the wheel looks like after spraying.

Duplicolor is growing on me, wish it was a bit darker though.

original post:

Has anyone painted their wheels gold like old BBS wheels/know where to get a good spray can version? Wurth makes it, but never seems to have it for sale(some places say it's discontinued, others say available soon).

I picked up some duplicolor metallic gold but it's not quite right for me. Any other ideas? Grimspeed sells subi bbs gold paint, but it's not the same as "old bbs gold". Eastwood makes some, says it's similar to all the old gold wheels but I'd have a hard time spending ~$50 shipped for 2 cans only to have it end up not matching well.

I'm painting my RM's and they're going on the Agave.

Guest Anonymous

Depends on how much of a stickler you are for authenticity. My ALPINA's are done in Wurth (so called BBS gold), which has more of a green tint to it than the proper BBS color. Griots garage used to sell something similar to the Wurth, not sure they still are or not. Once upon a time you could get BBS gold paint (in a rattle can) from BBS. I know you can still get it from them from BBS Germany (not sure about rattle can, but can get in quart size). I would check with BBS here in the US first to see if you can get it, then look at your other options.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Aardvarc lists it but I already contacted Dave and he doesn't have it in stock, like all the other Wurth dealers.

I checked Griots and didn't see anything.

BBS actually sells their gold paint in a spray can, but only in europe. I have it bookmarked somewhere, it took me hours to find. Another website sells "Auto-K" gold wheel paint which looks like the wurth paint, but only in England.

I was hoping someone had good success with something available in the local hardware store or homedepot.

@Ray, those RS's on the left, did they come that way or did you paint them? Both the RM's and RS's look good.

I bought 3 cans of Wurth gold a few years ago, when they were still available. Never used them. I would sell them to you if interested. Paid $20 a can. Let me know. deetman@sbcglobal.net

Dieter

Has anyone painted their wheels gold like old BBS wheels/know where to get a good spray can version? Wurth makes it, but never seems to have it for sale(some places say it's discontinued, others say available soon).

I picked up some duplicolor metallic gold but it's not quite right for me. Any other ideas? Grimspeed sells subi bbs gold paint, but it's not the same as "old bbs gold". Eastwood makes some, says it's similar to all the old gold wheels but I'd have a hard time spending ~$50 shipped for 2 cans only to have it end up not matching well.

I'm painting my RM's and they're going on the Agave.

Current:

- 1970 Colorado 2002, 1982 323i, 1972 Porsche 914, 1956 Porsche 356A Coupe replica, 2003 Mini Cooper S

Past:

- 1980 320is Turbo, 1972 Malaga 2002tii, 1973 Polaris 2002tii, 1973 Sahara 2002, 1981 Alpina C1 2.3, 1989 M3, 1984 Hardy & Beck 327S

• 2 months later...

Threadbump, I decided to paint the replica BBS RS's I've got and test out the color on my car. I painted one with the duplicolor gold paint available at autoparts stores. I just ordered a can of the eastwood paint, so I'll do a wheel with that too. I know the grimspeed gold isn't the same as classic BBS gold after just looking at a subaru or two, hopefully I can find one around town to stare at for a while.

Anyone have a mostly empty can of the wurth BBS gold paint they wouldn't mind sending/lending me? I'd really like to get a picture with the various gold paints on the same wheels side by side. Email me and we can work out the details.

• 2 weeks later...

Just sprayed one of the wheels with Eastwood's gold wheel paint. That stuff looks like shit, complete waste of money. It doesn't look anywhere near the color of the wheel on the can and doesn't come close to matching any of the gold wheels I've seen from the 60's-80's. I'll take a pic tomorrow in the daylight to show the difference between the eastwood and duplicolor.

I might fork over to try the grimspeed stuff, the dupli color just isn't quite dark enough and the eastwood looks like piss.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought it was worth mentioning that you can also still get original paint from BBS. It's a little pricey, but if you really want it to look correct this would be the way to do it.

Email response I sent go a while ago:

Hello Mr Tinker,

thanks for your mail and interest in BBS Racing Wheels.

1 set of bolts for E63 (12 pcs.): 5,40 EUR

1 pc. sealing ring for E63: 19,00 EUR

0,5 ltr. BBS Gold colour (for 4-5 wheel centres; has to be used within 4-6 weeks): 50,00 EUR

add 19% VAT and shipping

Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all

Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep

Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history

Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now