• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 2002tii, AC, Sunroof 5-speed, the Ultimate 02

mtmcdonald

IMG_6033.jpg

Posted on Ebay. This is the car that Jonathan Katz restored in 1981 at Beaconwood in MA. Still in phenomenal shape. A dream to drive.

This 2002tii is an 02 fanatic’s dream. It has it all: performance engine, close-ratio 5-speed, lowered profile, sunroof AND A/C, high-end stereo, exceptional condition inside and out. I would love to keep it, but two babies changes the game.

1974 BMW 2002tii

Verona (Red)

VIN: 2780382

Photos: 1974 BMW 2002tii

Video: Driving view

Car has 167K miles; complete frame-off restoration done in 1981 at 102,000 miles. All maintenance records kept, including documentation of the original restoration that was written up as a cover story for Roundel. Car has been garaged winters and well maintained. Recent service performed at J&F Motors in Arlington, VA.

INTERIOR:

Black interior; no cuts in the doors, no rips in the seats. Dashboard has no cracks. Headliner has some minor staining, no tears.

The faux wood on the gauge pod has been removed and replaced with simple gauge covers and the black plastic. The crosshair gauges remain.

Steering wheel is a Momo Alpina-style 15”

Alpine 7307 CD/Stereo with below dash mounted speakers in the front (ADS 300i) and concealed speakers under the rear window shelf in the back (ADS 200C). Two ADS Power Plate 60W amps are mounted under the rear seat.

Vintage Behr air conditioning system installed. It blows cold, but draws enough horsepower that I don’t use it at idle.

Car has a kill switch as well. I’ll tell you if you buy it.

MECHANICAL:

Engine has Mahle pistons, a 9.85:1 compression ratio, Norris 301 camshaft, 002 distributor, and a Spearco water injection unit. Setup is built for power, generating 150+hp (vs 130hp for a stock tii); car is a rocket on the road.

Transmission is a close-ratio 5 speed as used in European 323i’s; the Getrag 245 Sport. Has a 390:1 limited slip differential.

Battery has been relocated to the trunk; new battery just purchased and trunk floor recently restored.

Bilstein Green Dot struts in the front with Bilstein Sport shocks in the rear, providing a lowered profile. 22mm sway bars front and rear.

Upgraded to large rear drum brakes. Goes fast, stops fast.

BODY:

One spot of rust on the car on the passenger rocker panel. There has been ongoing work in the past to maintain the body, beyond the original restoration, including occasional spot rust and replacement of the spare tire basin. The car is overall in exceptional condition.

Car has a sunroof; no leaks; the drains off the sunroof have been rerouted into the rear wheel well instead of into the rockers to avoid rusting. The front sunroof seal is worn and needs replacing, part included with sale.

Fender lips have been pinched to better accommodate tires. Wheels are vintage soup-bowl alloys (part: 36111114231) with Pirelli S-Formula tires. Good tread.

OTHER:

Original factory service manual

Original 2002 brochure

Copy of Roundel with the car on the cover from September 1981

Vintage Leather hide-away key fob

Locking gas cap – key missing

Original set of roadside tools in leather case; fair condition

Car cover

Car bra

Seat covers, sheep skin and beads

Dozens of parts included, from hoses to interior, many new

ISSUES:

As mentioned above, the spot of rocker rust should be addressed.

The fuel gauge works intermittently; needs a new grounding.

I think I have the old Roundel with an extensive article on the build of this car. IIRC, it was in a horrible accident (the before pics made me want to cry) and was totally rebuilt better than new. It was evidently a very expensive project, as there were a lot of letters written to the Roundel wondering why so much money was spent.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Royal Red 69 VW Squareback built 8/13/68 “Patty”

That's correct. I have the copy of the magazine. The renovation was extensive, and they basically spared no expense, as you can see from the upgrade list above. It's a testament to the work that 30 years later the car looks recently restored.

Looking at the article, they list it as a $20K restoration in 1981! $7K of that was for the transmission, seats, wheels and tires, stereo and A/C

I had my 2002 in the same garage as you (but, two floors up)... a first the FDA parking garage - (2) 2002s in the house. Although there have been other 2002s on the new FDA campus -- as ClayW has to come over for work sometimes. I had never seen your car before, although I am always amazed how many 02s are around locally that I have never seen.

Again, GLWS.

-Marc

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst