• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 tii in MD for $16,000

mcaden

NM/NA. Never seen this car locally before, but there are so many out there I haven't seen.

Link: http://smd.craigslist.org/cto/2495494290.html

1972 BMW 2002 tii

VIN 2761475

Manufactured on April 24, 1972 and delivered on April 27, 1972 to Hoffman Motors Corporation in New York City.

Original Color was Ceylon Metallic Gold: Paint Color Code 008/908

Current Color is Chamonix White: Paint Color Code 085/400

Tan leather interior

This is an early 1972 with the 121TI head (black intake runners)

Odometer at purchase (September 2008): 25,786

Odometer currently (July 2011): 26,200 (driven 414 miles)

The car was refurbished prior to 2008, when I acquired it. Disassembly was extensive, as all visible and concealed compartments (door interiors) were painted. Front seats are from a BMW 320is and rear seats are from a BMW 6-series. Leather seats are in impeccable condition and perfectly match the color of the new and reupholstered door & rear quarter interior panels. The carpet is new. The trunk floor is new and reupholstered. The instrument cluster and dash gauges operate properly. The clock kept perfect time until the battery was replaced, at which time the clock ceased to operate. The clock light still operates; therefore, the likely culprit is a blown internal fuse wire which can be resoldered. http://www.marsmann.com/2002tii/clock/

I don't possess any documentation prior to 1985; however, the car resided in California from at least 1985 until September 2008, at which time is was relocated to Maryland.

There is no rust in the usual problem areas (refer to link that follows).

http://www.02restoration.com/restoration-tips/body-and-trim/18-most-common-rust-points-on-a-bmw-2002/

Modifications:

(1) Getrag 235/5 Close-Ratio 5-Speed gearbox The 235/5 gearbox was the factory optional close ratio five speed gearbox for the 2002. These units are fairly rare. This gearbox was an option even on the 2002 Turbo.

(2) 14" BBS RZ Wheels (basket weave pattern), BMW 2225540, ET30 6-½Jx14H2, Yokohama 185/60/14 tires

(3) Front and rear shocks (KYB Gas-A-Just)

(4) BMW 320is front seats (Recaro style)

(5) BMW 6-series rear seats (bucket style)

(6) MOMO Competition steering wheel (black leather) with operational turn signals and horn

(7) Alpine Receiver CDE-7859

(8) Behr Air Conditioner

(9) Manual Choke: by-passes the Thermo Control Relay (one of three components of the cold-start, fuel enrichment system) which failed on most of the fuel injected engines.

All other features of the car are original. I removed the rear bumper over-riders; however, they convey with the car. The OEM steering wheel and horn wiring harness convey with the car. I don't possess the original seats or wheels with bottle cap wheel covers. The car is otherwise complete with respect to fasteners, rubber bushings/spacers/bumpers and miscellaneous accessory items that are so often missing on these cars.

Service/Upgrades while in my possession:

(1) replace speedometer cable

(2) replace door seals (both sides)

(3) replace door rocker panel cover molding (both sides)

(4) replace door brake/stop (both sides) with upgraded model

(5) replace rubber grommets on door latch linkage inside door (both sides)

(6) reinstall moisture membrane between door and door panels (both sides)

(7) replace bushings on front suspension

(8) alignment

(9) replace alternator

(10) replace battery

(11) flush brake system

(12) new BBS wheel center caps (four wheels)

(13) custom-fabricated oil caps for front wheel hubs (properly accommodates the wheel center caps and locking mechanism)

I am able to document with receipts and itemized Excel spreadsheet $21,799 worth of parts and service since 1985, with $19,359 of the work having been performed since 2005. Accordingly, the condition of the car is very much up to date.

The engine starts easily, idles smoothly and pulls hard across the RPM range. Compared to a 4-speed gearbox or 5-speed gearbox with overdrive, the close-ratio 5-speed gearbox translates into higher RPMs at any given speed. Clutch operation is superb. Ride quality is firm (KYB shocks). The smaller diameter (350 mm) MOMO steering wheel yields more precise steering at higher speed.

This is a well preserved car that has been tastefully modified and carefully maintained.

The car is garaged on the outskirts of Washington, DC and Annapolis, MD.

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst

Here are the pictures I took during the inspection by mlytle and myself a couple weekends ago.

Very nice early tii with gorgeous interior and CR 5-speed.

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn251/jgerock/Chamonix%2072tii%202761475/

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Royal Red 69 VW Squareback built 8/13/68 “Patty”

• 4 months later...