• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VOLUNTEERS WANTED: Monthly Print Newsletter/Publication

cxzsaq

Hi All,

I'm thinking of starting a monthly print publication, covering things like member discussions from this forum, how-to's and other relevant, but random stuff (pics, typical publication sections, etc..).

Nothing major - black and white print on folded 11x17 paper, sent via US mail.

Editorial content mentioned above would be solicited on a rolling basis and drafted and reviewed by volunteer members. I would help with admin and printing and sending.

Monthly subscription fees will be double the current stamp price and would go toward pretty much nothing...

Thoughts?

7.21.2011 - UPDATE:::::

Folks who would be interested, please create a free account with TeamBox TeamBox - BZine project site. Alternatively, please email me your email and I will send you an invite.

Here is the link to the project, tentatively named "BZine".

BZine

We will be using this free online tool to collaborate, schedule and track each edition as well as brainstorm.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the idea, not sure Why it needs to be printed and mailed. content could be emailed, put into a online magazine format, then distributed electronically. People could print it for posterity if desired. Could include like a real high res car of the month/screen saver/wall paper. Just my 02Cents worth/opinion.

Like the idea, not sure Why it needs to be printed and mailed. content could be emailed, put into a online magazine format, then distributed electronically. People could print it for posterity if desired. Could include like a real high res car of the month/screen saver/wall paper. Just my 02Cents worth/opinion.

I like this idea. I wouldnt mind throwing in some writings from time to time.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Not to discredit your idea... but isn't that what this site is all about?

Magazines are a TON of work.. if you start one, you have to keep it up otherwise people (subscribers) will be disappointed.

I'd love to contribute as a 2002 owner and photographer but I'm just one person. You'd need LOTS of consistent contributions. And you have to question how long will this run. It would take years of commitment to be something substantial.

i also work in advertising and i see the print world dying... fast. the cost of printing something of quality is crazy compared to the cost of online publishing.

It seems to me that a lot of great tips, modifications, facts and suggestions go through this forum every day. Many of those items should be updated onto the FAQ page so we can refer to them vs using the wonky search function, or asking the same questions over and over again...or thumbing through a stack of old magazines.

Is there any reason the FAQ page never gets updated?

Again, i don't want to burst your bubble. just trying to add some perspective...

-josh

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

Not to discredit your idea... but isn't that what this site is all about?

Magazines are a TON of work.. if you start one, you have to keep it up otherwise people (subscribers) will be disappointed.

I'd love to contribute as a 2002 owner and photographer but I'm just one person. You'd need LOTS of consistent contributions. And you have to question how long will this run. It would take years of commitment to be something substantial.

i also work in advertising and i see the print world dying... fast. the cost of printing something of quality is crazy compared to the cost of online publishing.

It seems to me that a lot of great tips, modifications, facts and suggestions go through this forum every day. Many of those items should be updated onto the FAQ page so we can refer to them vs using the wonky search function, or asking the same questions over and over again...or thumbing through a stack of old magazines.

Is there any reason the FAQ page never gets updated?

Again, i don't want to burst your bubble. just trying to add some perspective...

-josh

Josh.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your post. I could not agree with you more that print is quickly dieing. However, i strongly feel that there is still a desire to read something physical (book, magazine, zine, etc...).

This initiative will focus on a single page (11x17) document printed monthly and should not require too much effort and I will cover all print costs.

We are definitely not aiming to compete against any current published materials, but are really aiming to a niche market of folks who may still enjoy reading a format (paper zine) aligned with the generation of the very cars it will focus on.

I also agree on the need for structured FAQ's and I'm hoping that we can fill a little of that void as well.

I think you would be a great contribution to this initiative should you be interested.

Thanks again,

UPDATE V.1

Folks who would be interested, please create a free account with

TeamBox. Alternatively, please email me your email and I will send you an invite.

Here is the link to the project, tentatively named "BZine".

BZine

We will be using this free online tool to collaborate, schedule and track each edition as well as brainstorm.

UPDATE V.2

Folks who emailed me with access questions should by now receive invitation emails to teambox. Please check your spam folder.

Folks who registered via link in the original post should be all set. Here is the link again:

BZine

I will set up a workflow this weekend and we should be able to kick off on monday with tasks and all that jazz.

I anticipate working during august and our first issue to be released on september 1.

Have you thought about perhaps starting this out as a subscriber-based online publication? Send it out as a printable PDF. Sell some cheap ad space to a few vendors and once it gains momentum, start a printed version.