• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VOLUNTEERS WANTED: Monthly Print Newsletter/Publication

cxzsaq

Have you thought about perhaps starting this out as a subscriber-based online publication? Send it out as a printable PDF. Sell some cheap ad space to a few vendors and once it gains momentum, start a printed version.

Great question.

Yes, I have. However, I'm still leaning toward a physical publication "like in the good ol' days".

There are way too many online publications and media (including this forum) for a new player to compete. So the decision to go with a physical media was somewhat based on this.

Thanks for folks already registered or in process.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
Not to discredit your idea... but isn't that what this site is all about?

It seems to me that a lot of great tips, modifications, facts and suggestions go through this forum every day. Many of those items should be updated onto the FAQ page so we can refer to them vs using the wonky search function, or asking the same questions over and over again...or thumbing through a stack of old magazines.

Is there any reason the FAQ page never gets updated?

-josh

the problem is that it's just me. It would be great to get some help with formatting and publishing. We had a few people in the beginning, but they are gone. Publishing here is pretty easy and i hope to make it even easier with the future software. i just need to find time.

if you would like to help publish things, i can upgrade your account to a publisher.

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

What about doing both? The files that would need to be created for printing would be the same as used for online. That way you could follow both streams and see what works best. With the FAQ you kind of have a subscriber base already. Distribute it through the FAQ and build your list and you'd save yourself some postage.

What about doing both? The files that would need to be created for printing would be the same as used for online. That way you could follow both streams and see what works best. With the FAQ you kind of have a subscriber base already. Distribute it through the FAQ and build your list and you'd save yourself some postage.

Valid point to have a website that would show exactly the same as print. I will ponder that. Maybe we can save up enough for a domain ($10) and some cheap hosting.

I want this to be an organically funded publication (subscription revenues + donations), so I think we can reach these figures in a few months...or am i being too optimistic?

Not to discredit your idea... but isn't that what this site is all about?

It seems to me that a lot of great tips, modifications, facts and suggestions go through this forum every day. Many of those items should be updated onto the FAQ page so we can refer to them vs using the wonky search function, or asking the same questions over and over again...or thumbing through a stack of old magazines.

Is there any reason the FAQ page never gets updated?

-josh

the problem is that it's just me. It would be great to get some help with formatting and publishing. We had a few people in the beginning, but they are gone. Publishing here is pretty easy and i hope to make it even easier with the future software. i just need to find time.

if you would like to help publish things, i can upgrade your account to a publisher.

steve k.

Steve, if you can let me know what a "publisher's" responsibility can be for this site, I'd be more than happy. I assume delete spam, moderate, etc...

P.S. I think it would only be fair to also mention the forum in the publication (assuming subscribers are non-forum members).

• Administrators

Steve, if you can let me know what a "publisher's" responsibility can be for this site, I'd be more than happy. I assume delete spam, moderate, etc...

P.S. I think it would only be fair to also mention the forum in the publication (assuming subscribers are non-forum members).

i'll take care of spam and there is no moderation here. So it's all about writing and publishing articles or news in the proper sections.

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Riffing on the zine idea, I wonder if anyone has ever looked into an FAQ mobile app. So when you are out there wrenching on your car you can ask advice etc. from where you are working....

I have thought and spec-ed out an autoMD type app. There is some work needed but im willing to help out if anyone wants to take a lead on it.

Code is not that difficult for this type of thing so maybe $30,000 is all we need for an iphone/ipad type app.

However, not many people may use it in the shop as these devices are pricey and do not like dirt - so if you are going to be referencing something, you would probably do it in your living room - so might as well use your pc/mac...

I'll have an android phone come the next few days and would volunteer to test a FAQ App out on an android phone if it comes to that! Glad to help when I can :)

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2