• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Enjoyable GTG with a GOLF colored accent --

Mike Bethel (AKA: oldfahrt) is making his way (at this very moment) from Minn. to Durham, NC in his daughter's '72 Golf 2002. It is a beautiful '02 and Mike and I just couldn't stop talking for some reason. It was 2 AM suddenly and, hey, we had to get some sleep. I hope he found the Denker-McCarty home an improvement over his motel accomodations the previous night. Mike & Carol Self and George Thielen came over last evening to join me and Mike Bethel for dinner. Mike brought his '73 Sahara while George drove his '74 Inka. We feasted on Lee's Famous Recipe chicken, Carol's spinach salad, some Great Lakes Brewing Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, and some Founders IPA that George brought over in an old-time growler. Good times for sure. Mike B. is a Mechanical Engineer, so he is super-handy with virtually everything, including 2002's. He owns a '73 Chamonix which I need to get a look at. Thanks for dropping in on us, Mike!

Yet another example of the good times you can have with '02's and the humans who are attached to the '02's.....

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

four 2002s (plus an E30) all gathered together.

Thanks for hosting, Jim; Mike, hope you arrive in Durham with all the pieces on your daughter's car that you left MN with.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Our GTG was impromptu; not much time to get organized. That was not as important as the stories & the '02 goodness. It is much easier to talk over dinner at home rather than going to a restaurant, plus the bar bill is so much less!

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Mike was the first 2002 owner I met here in MN… We met to swap a carburetor and BS’ed over a cup off coffee… Next thing we knew 3 hours had flown by… Stand up guy being missed here in MN… Cheers Mike… BTW Mike has a killer 912 too…

Yeah, it is Minnesota's loss, with Mike having moved to NC. However, the 02 Group gains his experience and enthusiasm. I would like to see the 912 certainly.

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Cheese guys, I am humbled.

It was a great drive with many thumbs up and even a couple purchase offers to boot. Was a bit hot in places, like 104 on the thermometer at the gas station in Mt. Airy, NC. How 'bout that Opie?

One of the absolute enjoyments of owning an '02 is meeting other owners, a group unlike any other.

Once again, thanks for the fun and hope to see you when in the Durham area.

Here's a pic of The Katzenjammer Kids, reunited. Dieter (L) and Fritz Bimmer.

Mike

post-171-13667646223727_thumb.jpg