• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting gassed in CA

JackF

So, We have moved to CA. The house and cars haven't arrived but we are here. I stopped to fill up my daughters car and run my card into the reader and it tells me there is a $.45 charge for using either my credit card or atm card. Is this one of the new joys of living in CA? I hear this is a bank charge, not the vendor charge. If so, we have basically been encouraged to stop using cash for about the last 20 years and now after bailing all the banks out they charge us for spending our money...that they pay us nothing on. Do I have this approximately right? If so, what banks are not charging for this...service?

It's been like this at Arco in WA forever.... It's not by bank it's by gas station. If you fill up a lot pay in cash, it saves ya a lot.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

It is an ARCO thing, not a California thing. I believe it is the only one that does that.

Welcome to California, hope to see you around. Don't miss the SoCal Vintage Meet in October.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Where are they not?

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Oregon?

;-)

Ray

Go somewhere else!

Ha, you're not getting. California is a beautiful place to live, but the politics here are just stupid. :P

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

It's been like this at Arco in WA forever.... It's not by bank it's by gas station. If you fill up a lot pay in cash, it saves ya a lot.

Even if you filled up every week it would only save you $23/year. Their gas is generally cheap enough that just buying three gallons will offset the $0.45 charge. But, I'd never take my '02 there. After the national mandate of 10% ethanol in gas ARCO gas isn't much different than Shell/Chevron/etc but I still don't fill up the '02 there(the other family cars do get filled up there though). I would love to see a 10k mileage comparison of identical modern cars running ARCO/Shell/Chevron/76/etc and see what kind of buildup you get.

Oregon?

;-)

Ray

Go somewhere else!

No, it's terrible up here. All it does is rain all the time. I would never recommend someone move up here, especially if they are coming from sunny california. /jk '02ers are always welcome!

I bet the 100LL pump at the local airport doesn't do that! I have a parking spot for your Turbo in my garage. You line up a hanger for my Bonanza yet? ;)

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Funny you should ask. I keep getting calls from developers in Irvine trying to sell/lease new hangers at Nev City. I keep telling them, I am lacking three things. No cert, no airplane and no money. Other than that, i'd be good to go. Now that we are out here I am trying to get my youngest, the controller at LAX to transfer to SMF. Then she could live up here around us, we could partner on a plane and she could fly to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Even if you filled up every week it would only save you $23/year. Their gas is generally cheap enough that just buying three gallons will offset the $0.45 charge. But, I'd never take my '02 there. After the national mandate of 10% ethanol in gas ARCO gas isn't much different than Shell/Chevron/etc but I still don't fill up the '02 there(the other family cars do get filled up there though). I would love to see a 10k mileage comparison of identical modern cars running ARCO/Shell/Chevron/76/etc and see what kind of buildup you get.

Oregon?

;-)

Ray

Go somewhere else!

No, it's terrible up here. All it does is rain all the time. I would never recommend someone move up here, especially if they are coming from sunny california. /jk '02ers are always welcome!

Money is money. Saves me some green so I can drive the 02 farther :P And I'll be moving to Oregon from Washington for school and this others pump your gas is gonna piss me off when I get it spilled down the side of my 02 by some Corvallis baboon... The ARCO at Highway 34 and I5 has been good so far.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2