• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

S Carolina 72 2002tii SOLD!

mthaynestii

OK, so I didn't get my much deserved promotion this year, so it is time to sell Moes. It has been discussed before, but this is it.

Here is the story:

I bought the car about a year ago and it was pretty rough. It didn't run and had a big hole in the floor at the pedal box. The paint was mostly original except on the rear driver's side where there was some previous damage that had been repaired. I gutted the interior, had the hole repaired, installed a new pedal box, replaced the padding and the carpet. I recovered the front seats with the kit from World. There is a 1/2" "over cut" in the vinyl at the seat back release lever on both seats. I didn't learn on the first one and made the same mistake on the second. A good vinyl guy can repair, but I never got to it. The door cards are original and hole free, but I replaced the backing board with the plywood replacement. I installed new arm rests as well. The headliner was covered in mold, but it scrubbed out pretty well with just some minor spotting. The drivers sun visor is new. It has a new speedo cable. I yanked out the 30 year old audiovox radio and installed a NOS 1989 Pioneer Premier tape deck with Cerwin Vega 6x9's in the rear. My poor planning led to me cutting into the vapor canister mounting location, so it is removed from the trunk. I replaced the shifter boot and shift knob with new. I also installed a NOS Nardi steering wheel. I removed and rebuilt the heater box using the FAQ as a guide. The mounting flange for the heater box had an area that was rusted through which allowed water to enter the interior and assisted in rusting the pedal box and a small hole on the passenger floor. The hole in the flange area has been treated with POR15 and is sealed by the new caulk from the heater box re-install. I sealed the outside of the hole with roofing caulk/tar. She is now water tight. All the glass was removed for the respray and new rubber installed after. The A/C does work and blows ice cold. It is all original and has Freeze 12 in it. The compressor is a little loose and could use some new bushings and a new belt. The engine was not that hard to get going. I pulled the gas tank, removed the old gas, removed the rust from the mounting flange and tank lip and painted the tank, and then reset the tank with seam sealer vice sponge gasket. All rubber fuel lines were replaced, a new fuel filter up front, cleaned the pressure regulating valve, replaced the KF o-rings, installed a new fuel pump (modern inline not original tii) and refurbed the pump mounting bracket and its associated pulsation damping tank. I replaced the ignition coil, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, installed hot spark. Turned it over a few times by hand and then fired it up. She got a new battery and alternator and belt. New KF belt on hand, but not installed yet. New valve cover gasket installed when I adjusted the valves as well as breather hose and brake booster hose and check valve. Had a stripped eccentic bolt, so a new one was installed. Replaced intake runners that was cracked, still got a couple spares. I have a refurbed intake manifold and throttle with new gaskets, orings, and cold start injector ready to go on as well. The engine is slowly leaking oil from the exhaust manifold bolts. Haven't got to that yet. It also leaks slightly from the timing chain cover. These leaks are minor, but I am anal so they bother me. Maybe 2 drops after a drive. The radiator is original, doesn't leak and I have yet to have a temp issue with it. I have replaced the hoses and thermostat after a flush and shes got BMW blue antifreeze now. The car has the original 4 speed and it shifts nice. 2nd gear grinded a little at first, but now that I have a few hundred miles on it has returned to normal. I have changed the tranny fluid twice with Redline MTL, which seems to have done the trick. When I drained it originally it came out black and clumpy, I put in the Redline, and drove it a hundred miles or so and drained it again, and filled with fresh MTL. I also rebuilt the shifter with all new OEM parts, and the tranny is leak free. The backup light switch is new as well, but not currently working?. The rear diff also has Redline in it. It drained clean the first time, so I haven't drained it again. The brakes were replaced front and rear, pads, drums, and discs. I replaced the brake and clutch masters and clutch slave cylinders and flushed the system with Superblue brake fluid. SS brake lines are new as well. She stops as good as she goes. The shocks and struts are new Billy HDs with new strut and shock mounts, but the springs are original. She is sagging slightly on the drivers side and I have considered buying new springs, but suspensions are so personal I think I will wait for the new owner to decide. New tie rods and center link installed followed by an alignment and new Sumitomo 185/70/13s HTR4's on original steelies, which have been blasted and painted, with shiny hubcaps with new emblems. New spare too. New ASNA muffler and OEM center pipe. All glass and trim was removed and the car was sanded to get rid of surface rust from chips and cracks in the bondo repair on the driver's rear. The car looks pretty good on the outside, but like I said I am anal, so I see every flaw. I am a Navy Nuke and it goes against my very nature to live with flaws. So the paint job is what erks me the most. I spent months smoothing the body, especially that drivers rear, and it turned out ok, but as I didn't block it out enough it is not totally flat. Also on the spots that had chips in the original paint, I didn't feather out the sanding spots far enough and in the right light and angle you can see the "craters". The hood has a small area of visible pinholes in the filler/icing, and one spot of debris under the paint. The trunk which felt perfectly flat when I was sanding the car, turned out to have very minor hail damage. That is the only thing that I can think of that would leave those kinds of marks. There are also a few fish eyes in the paint, with the largest being on the passenger door near where the side mirror would be if it had one. All of these paint issues are minor, but as a whole bother me. The car shines beautifully and looks great to the untrained or un-anal eye. If I was going to keep this car forever, I would strip it down again, have it smoothed and blocked by a pro and repainted, but these are hard times, and time and money are both in short supply. Continuing on, all NEW beltline trim was installed with new clips. NEW rain gutter trim. NEW B-pillar trim, one new and one nice used rear side window trim. Original door window chrome with new seals inside and out and new felt guide channels. All NEW rear license plate lights, emblem, 2002tii badge. The roundies are in good shape with very minor pitting on the chrome. The rear bumper center has been freshly chromed, and the rest shines nicely. The trunk had some rust penetration at the bumper mounting location on the right side. It has been treated with POR15 and filled, can't see it under the bumper anyways. All bumper hardware has been replaced with SS bits. The trunk interior is ok, original paint, with no rust in the towers. One pinhole was found under the left trunk lid support, treated before paint. New rubber fuel neck, all floor and side panels in place. There is some penetration in the spare tire well, but I have a donor tub waiting to go in, which will be nice to deepen it to accept the slightly larger Sumitomo. New rubber under the door handles and new lock grommets and acorns are installed. At the front, a nice AMCO bumper guard is installed. I have the rear, but it isn't nice enough for me put on. The front bumper is nice and rust free with SS bits holding it in place. The nose is original and snorkel free. It had a 12" rust hole along the very bottom on the drivers side, probably from radiator overflow. I grinded it out, treated it with POR15 and used a patch panel and filler to cover it. I know how bad that may seem, but it is all the way at the bottom and can be more properly repaired if desired by the next owner. The important part is that the nose is real tii. The front grills are nice and shiny with no missing slats, the center is new as is the hood emblem. The antenna is new as well, and is the one recommended by Esty.

So, stuff that needs to be done still, well that is never ending really. I would have liked to pull the motor and tranny to give them a full detail and paint job, and to fix the minor leaks. The underside needs to be pressure washed and undercoated, but at least now the new owner can see it in all its patina. The car came from GA and has a lot of rock hard clay in the nooks that should be sprayed out. The spare tire well needs to be replaced as discussed and should be done before the undercoating. I would replace the windshield if this was going to be a daily driver, because it is a little sand blasted from the years of driving. But all in all it is about done. If you are looking for a show car, this is not it (the pictures make it look nicer than it really is), but could be if you wanted to strip it all done and start over. My car is beautiful and gets compliments and thumbs up every time I take it out. This long rant is not all inclusive as there is surely more that I have done, but I can't remember it all. I have over $10K in receipts for the work that I have done, but no other history.

I am asking $11.5K and the car is located in Charleston, SC.

post-18248-1366764665305_thumb.jpg

post-18248-13667646654124_thumb.jpg

post-18248-1366764665504_thumb.jpg

post-18248-1366764665613_thumb.jpg

Matt Haynes

72 Malaga 2002tii - Moes

81 Toyota Supra - Cellie

91 Alpinewies 325iC - Ilsa

07 Titansilber 530xi Sport Wagon

I live in Hanahan and drive it to Coffee and Conversation out in Mt. Pleasant on Saturdays, and occasionally to work, but not much else. The driver's around are terrible and I am too afraid to get rear ended.

Matt Haynes

72 Malaga 2002tii - Moes

81 Toyota Supra - Cellie

91 Alpinewies 325iC - Ilsa

07 Titansilber 530xi Sport Wagon

I agree with you about the drivers around here. I've been rear ended twice on i-26 since I moved here 5-years ago. I live in summerville and drive to james island everyday to work. I usually take my 76' once a week and all day on the weekends. good luck on the sale. I'll put a good word out for you

brent

1976 2002

2011 135i

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I am interested in your Tii, even from a Navy Nuker, that is if you don't mind selling to a Marine...

dsbeast@rocketmail.com