• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colors! Help me choose

webhead

Hi all,

I've just obtained my rusty project car: a 2002 Touring from '73. Although I've got plenty of time left before I need to get to spray painting, I'm already visualizing colors.

I've decided I want an original color, that is, a color a 2002 was made in. I'm contemplating on two colors, either orange (Inka) or Blue (Arctic). Condition here is that it must be something else then a regular car and does not look "normal". It must stand out.

Considering interior I've decided I'm not sticking to the original cloth. In my personal opinion (PERSONAL) it looks dated, at best. I like it to be a bit more sporty but it must ooze class. I'm thinking something sand color or a pale pallet. Maybe something dark with a two-tone beige combination?

The problem is that the Inka orange I love so much doesn't do well with beige/sand color...

So... suggestions, examples :)

post-20300-13667646683837_thumb.jpg

Nice colors you are considering. My siennabraun is an original color and down here I've only seen one - and he moved to Florida.

Fortunately you have plenty of time to make a choice that will make you happy ;)

Anyway, here's my siennabraun...

IMG_0005.jpg

02RightSide.jpg

RightSideInteriorView.jpg

FrontSeats.jpg

Victor
SOLD - 1974 Automatic Sienabraun Metallic

I would say rather go with Colorado, it works better with lighter interiors than Inka but is still very bold and still period.

This blue would be my first choice with a light interior though.

7479495_b4e5c7b0e1.jpg

EDIT: I just saw i posted the same photo as you! Its also my favorite, but that car is Colorado, not Inka.

Regards

Jacques

post-20300-13667646681703_thumb.jpg

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

I was waiting a bit longer to post this exact question. I just got my 1600 sandblasted and I'm ready to prime, smooth out, and paint... I, too, love Inka, but a couple of the blues keep pulling my eye...Baikal, Riviera....ahhhhh! decisions!!

Sorry, I'm no help at all...;-)

My vote is to keep it the original color.

But, it's YOUR car. Paint it MaryKay Pink if you want.

Just be sure to do the color change correctly- Every little crevace that shows should be covered with the new hue. Door jambs, the underside of the hood, etc... Nothing screams poor paint job like a pretty car with two-tone door jambs. It's the attention to detail.

I did a color change on my flared 02. From Colorado to Cinnabarot. I ended up shooting a bunch of nooks and crannies with some satin black rattle can paint just to keep the orange from shining through. It's a bunch of work.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Esty, that interior is f'n sweeeeeet. Wow. wow.

I agree though, that if you repaint, strip it to nothing first. My car is a shell now. Completely sandblasted and as naked as she was in October of 68'..;-) that's the only way a color change would work properly. nothing worse than finding other colors in cracks or using something else to hide the old paint.

I'll be watching to see what you decide on, as this is right around the corner for me... good luck!

My vote is to keep it the original color.

But, it's YOUR car. Paint it MaryKay Pink if you want.

Just be sure to do the color change correctly- Every little crevace that shows should be covered with the new hue. Door jambs, the underside of the hood, etc... Nothing screams poor paint job like a pretty car with two-tone door jambs. It's the attention to detail.

I did a color change on my flared 02. From Colorado to Cinnabarot. I ended up shooting a bunch of nooks and crannies with some satin black rattle can paint just to keep the orange from shining through. It's a bunch of work.

I too am in favor of keeping it in the original color. You never said what the original color of your touring was. I repainted my sahara tii in the original color, sahara. I believe in keeping unique cars original.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/bimmerfan02/Gordon/tii/

Your touring is a unique car but it will be worth more if kept in the original state. It's your car, you can do what you want with it but if it were mine, I would keep it original.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

My current color is white. I Like it but it so... plain.

I still like Inka and Colorado but I've seen some viable alternatives here.

That sienna (above) isn't my first choise but what a lovely interior. Beige/sand color is definitely the way to go.

That bright blue car also caught my attention. I like it because a blue metallic, like Baikal or Arctic creates some kind of "depth" in the color.

But keep those pictures coming of your car/interiors :)

The car is yours and to change color is your choice, just do it right.

On a touring, make sure you get the vents stripped and painted. The vents I refer to are in the hatch area.

Open the hatch if it is on, look at the top of the opening, You will see some vents there. THose do not get covered with the headliner so strip and paint.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5