• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restore BMW 74 companies help???

BMW2002_74

I have a 74' 2002 that I would like to restore. It's been in storage for about 20 years which the time engine was rebuilt, 5 spd upgrade, repainted...

I would like to locate some quality companies that can restore the body?

What kinda cost is reasonable ? I received a around about from a couple places and for what they charge I could purchase a 2002 Turbo or even a new Porsche.....?

The closest restoration shop close to you is in the Chicago area, but be advised you need to have deep pockets for Don's work but it is exceptional. http://www.thewerkshop.net/

In Los Angeles, Peter Sliskovich has a restoration shop for old school BMW's http://www.coupeking.com/ Peter's shop did the paint job on my 70 E3 2800. http://www.coupeking.com/product_id-407.html

Since you are in MI, I assume that the 74 02 has a lot of rust from from being driven in the winter. I come from the school that you should find the best body you can. Mechanical work is childs play compared to body restoration. Recommend that you go to CA and buy a 76 2002 out there for cheap and bring it back and transplant all of your good mechanicals into a rust free shell. Dollar wise you'll come out way ahead. 76 02's in CA still have to undergo smog testing, 75 and earlier don't so there's not much of a demand for 76 02's in CA, but 76 02's are great for out of state buyers. If you go that route, then you can use the 74 02 as a parts car. Sounds like you've got good mechanicals, you just need a good body to go with it. Just my .02 cents worth..

Read the projects blog page in the FAQ from 02 owners who have been there, done that when it comes to restoring their 02's to gain a better perspective of the work involved.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Body in excellent condition except for the truck where the tire fits into. The car has been stored in a garage for most of it's life and new BMW fenders were installed 20 years ago because the old ones had a little rust and I just had them replaced.

"thewerkShop" person was very rude and wouldn't even talk price just wanted a blank check which is not going to happen. I also found out that the orginal owner of "thewerkshop" sold the company and now it's under some new person. I've also read some bad things about the "thewerkshop" so I'm going to stay clear. I'm looking into Korman who informative/professional and willing to help but prices are around 45k and up.....why would put 45k into a 2002 when restored ones go for a lot less and you even purchase a Turbo version for 30k-50k ???

opinion on dipping vs non-dip vs other?

Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

I would research a local shop with the best reputation that you can find. I agree with the comments about the shell vs. redoing anything that is going to take a considerable amount of work unless the car has sentimental value. It is difficult to hold someone accountable for the work they do if they are thousands of miles away. Reputations do not always reflect the quality of work that comes out and it is nice to watch what is going on with your car. Real reputations tend to be local.

1973 Verona 2002 2.5 L s14

1998 M3

Doesn't seem like there's any quality places in Michigan........

When I had the 02 at the paint shop 20 years ago it they screwed something up with the paint creating fisheyes and was repainted twice. Also, it was hit when in the shop denting the back a little of coarse they fixed it......

Places charging 50k to restore just a body is crazy .....Basically you're floating these small companies.

Staying clear from "Thewerkshop"

I'll check them out.........

www.worldclass1600.com

"Paint jobs start around $8000 with all bolt on panels removed. All hardware removed, cleaned and re-furbished, all glass removed, car stripped to bare metal. Some rusty panels included (lower fenders, rockers,spare tire well) This includes complete paint inside and out. Re texturing trunk compartment, and outer rockers. Owner has choose of 3 different paint system. Solvent base 2 stage, water born 2-stage, and a true urethane single stage which is era to these older vehicles. Owner is responsible for any parts replacement, upgrades, chrome, polishing of stainless steel, upholstery. We offer excellent prices on all of these operations. Material bill is to remain open to insure your car receives everything it needs to be a World Class Restoration. Plenty of photos available on request during your repair and a CD of the whole operation when completed. Estimated time of completion is about 3 months."

The problem is repairing a 2002 body, stripping, rust repair, prep and paint is no less time and labor intensive than any other car (ie Ferrari, Porsche, Maserati etc) the cost of parts may be a bit less but the real killer is the labor. At a shop rate of $85-100/ hr it adds up FAST! 100 hours of labor on a rusty 2002 does not go very far. Having just stripped a Turbo to the bare metal shell, done a very small amount of rust repair (I was very lucky). I had someone else paint it, I rebuilt the engine, trans, diff, suspension and all other pieces and assembled it. I am in the business of restoring and maintaining vintage race cars for customers so I do this day in and day out. I am sure I have well over 800 hours in it personally (again I did not do the final bodywork or paint) so that would work out to about $56/hr if I charged $45k to restore your car and that does not include any parts or outside labor (machine shop for engine work or paint).

It is very easy to get way in over your head restoring a car. You need to look at the possible value of the car when you are done and make a educated decision before you even start about how much you are willing to spend. And I am talking not just of the value in the open market but how much value it has to YOU. If this is they car you have had since high school, took on your honeymoon, your family bought it new etc. it may have a value to YOU well above it's value out on the open market. You will never sell it but really want your old friend running and looking as good as you can make it. At that point YOU need to decide how much you are willing to spend on this piece of your own history and proceed with that in mind. If you are thinking "I'll restore this old 2002 and do a perfect job then sell it for all of the money in the world and make a killing" you are probably better off just sitting in front of the fireplace some evening with a bottle of good scotch and a pile of $100 bills and just slowly toss them into the fire.

I have wanted a Turbo since I first rode in one around the Nurburgring in 1974. I get to fool myself about how much I have invested in my car, after buying it in England, shipping it over, duties and taxes, the $$$$ I spent in parts and outside work (machine work,stripping, paint, etc) and then put a ZERO value on my own time $45k does not sound so bad. But then again a Turbo 2002 is worth a lot more than a standard 2002 but the cost to restore it really is not that much different.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Don't need help in the mechanical department only body work restoration. Checking into companies that have a good history in body work.

"Sports Car Restoration" seems interesting but I have seen any ball park figures. I have watch out for people giving a low figure and coming with extreme one for example $5000 quote and final 45k......not going to happen!

There's a point were a restoration is floating a company for a year because they have no work and I'd rather purchase a newer Porsche.

Be very carefull about assuming that because the engine was freshly rebuilt 20 years ago and then "stored" it is still in good shape. I have seen many engines that have built up rust on the cylinder walls just from the air and moisture getting through open intake and exhaust valves. When you first turn the engine over and the rings have rusted to the cylinder walls the rings are broken or even the ring lands on the pistons are damaged. Yes this is an extreme example but not at all uncommon for engines that have sat unused for years even in enclosed garages. Then there is the brake system that should be gone through etc. WE CALL IT GARAGE ROTT, it never sleeps!

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

I would talk to owners of other vintage cars to include local muscle car owners and ask who they recommend for restoration in your local area. I'm sure there's got to be a cruise night in your local area where you can seek out other automotive enthusiasts opinion of a reputable local restoration shop.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner