• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine swap labor estimates...

FutureMan

I'd like an idea what to expect before I start talking to any shops about potential work. Assuming I can find the engine/tranny combo myself and assuming we're talking about an engine that doesn't require too much fabrication like an m42 or s14, what would you expect the price range to be for a shop to complete the engine swap?

James

'73 2002tii - inka

user1449_pic1108_1255377205.jpg

a lot.

there is an m2 build thread in the projects section from a few years ago. very basic s14 swap (ie no scope creep like i had) the author was doing it for a customer and documented the hours. unless you have very deep pockets, engine swaps are cost prohibitive to pay someone for..

the only exception to this might be if you find a shop that has done a lot of the same swap and knows how to do it quickly.

here is that thread

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,332209/postdays,0/postorder,asc/highlight,s14%252Bairbox/topic_view,flat/start,0/

2xM3

a lot.

there is an m2 build thread in the projects section from a few years ago. very basic s14 swap (ie no scope creep like i had) the author was doing it for a customer and documented the hours. unless you have very deep pockets, engine swaps are cost prohibitive to pay someone for..

the only exception to this might be if you find a shop that has done a lot of the same swap and knows how to do it quickly.

here is that thread

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,332209/postdays,0/postorder,asc/highlight,s14%252Bairbox/topic_view,flat/start,0/

well I was considering taking it to SCR in connecticut, so they have certainly done a fair amount of work on 02s

James

'73 2002tii - inka

user1449_pic1108_1255377205.jpg

a lot.

here is that thread

well I was considering taking it to SCR in connecticut, so they have certainly done a fair amount of work on 02s

I think ALOT is a good estimate.

My 2002 was manufactured on September 15th, 1971 and delivered on October 22nd, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023. It was sold on New Years Eve December 31st 1971.

...and what ever quote you get from SCR in Connecticut

you can be be assured it's honest - they do know what it takes

and can make it happen

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I'd have to double check and it is a bit apples and oranges: Ford 4 cylinder short block was 13 hours labor from a dealership. A bit more work because of head/manifold swap but a bit less nuisance since there was a parts department and everything was plug and bolt compatible. The hours include getting it running right.

Sometimes shops will be able to give low bids because they hire unskilled/non union labor to do the grunt work. Mostly just the simple stuff like removing bumpers or steam cleaning parts. Not all shops do this of course because it can be more trouble then it is worth. Better to pay someone $100/hour then have them do $200/hour damage to your car.

Rick