• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Claying your car....

dlmrun2002

Despite what Rich Griot (and others) recommend, I fail to accept the logic of using an abrasive (clay) as a general paint cleaner. This position is also stated by the folks at Car Care Specialities (www.carcareonline.com): "this product should be used as was intended, to remove paint overspray or contaminants that may not be dissolved with a solvent." For my 2002 restoration project I routinely use 3M and Meguiar's products (3M Imperial Hand Glaze for example). I've also used some Menzerna products, altho they are harder to find.

I've used Griot's with their Speedshine. I thought it did a great job. I wouldn't use it ALL the time, but I liked the job it did on the 72 Golf and a friends E30. Handled well, worked well. Ordering some new clay from Griots for the much neglected Subaru.

I love Meguiar's products, and also Zymol especially for their original leather treat.

Quite a while ago I attended a detailing clinic sponsored by Meguiar's. My local shop had a few different clay products, but I ended up with one from Production. Their clay comes as a big hunk. I cut it in half and work with a smaller hunk. For a lubricant, I use Meguiars quik detailer spry, but have watered it down by at least 1/2. Spray the heck out of the panel and go to town with the clay. If things get dry, the clay will stop and stick like an 02 with Lee's brakes.

For me, it was very noticable to the touch the difference in the texture of the paint. With the panel all wet, run your fingertips across it. You will feel all the grit and dirt. After the claying, spray it and test again with your fingertips.

Depending on the paint condition, you may or may not need to do polishing or such before the wax application.

Now, don't go look at my 02. It's paint hasn't seen wax a long time.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I was curious to try it because I needed to re-polish a door on my e30 I painted a year ago that I never polished one edge correctly. So I was reading and told to "clay" before doing this. The clay I used was not aggressive and so I didn't have to worry about burning though the paint. It did clean the paint pretty good but I actually can clean the paint just as good with Meguiars #7 which I normally use as a pre-wax cleaner before my final coat of wax. Meguiars #7 is the same as zymol pre cleanse and it will clean lots of stuff. Got my edge polished after claying. Really like the "Presta" products.

dlm ny country

In my younger years with lots of time, I had a pretty extensive routine for my cars.

Rinse, wash, rinse, chamois dry, let air dry, Meguiars #2 (if really bad), followed by Meguiars #9 (swirl remover), then wax with Meguiars 26 paste.

Wash the car off and feel the wet panel with your bare finger tips. It should feel smooth as clean glass.

When I use the clay, the panel is very wet and I'm just sliding the clay back and forth, rather quickly in a small area. Try it on a small corner, or even another painted surface like your lawnmower. I haven't had any issues with 'burning' through the paint. The only problem I ever have is the clay hitting a dry spot and leaving a streak of clay on the paint. Then again, I may not be using the same products that someone else is using. I'd be more concerned with using a rotary polisher and catching an edge. That would burn through the paint.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

with a slight polish and fillers. I use it just before waxing.

I like the clean finish after using a mild clay bar (annually), and use soapy water as a lubricant. Meguiar's white clay bar is milder than blue is milder than their red bar

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

There are different grades of clay.

The stuff sold to consumers is harmless, but does a good job of eliminating paint contaminates. Use diluted dishwashing liquid as mentioned.

Claying with industrial clays such as body shops use can be too abrasive, so go with Mothers, Griots, Zaino and you'll be fine.

Realize that you use zero pressure and keep it well wet (lubed).

Also, anytime you clay, you also remove the wax/sealant, so plan to re-wax when finished.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Rather than using a detailer spray as lubricant, I use a little liquid dishwashing detergent with water in a spray bottle.

No one in this thread has mentioned Zaino products. I've been using them for around 10 years now & I highly recommend them.

i love zainos products as well, esp on black and very dark colored cars

the problem with clay bars is people keep on using them, but don't flip the clay over...or worse yet, use them forever. they pick up dirt particles, sometimes sandy gritty stuff. and when you rub that on, then you will mar your paint. so don't be cheap, once it looks like crap and/or you can see crud in there, get a new bar. and as others have said, use a lot of fluid.

I clay my 02's paint once every 2-3 years, when I give the car a pretty extensive (excessive? ;-) overall cleaning/detailing. It's worked great over the ~14 years since my car was repainted, and really brings the paint back to as-new freshness - swirl marks, and other wax and surface embedded debris it's picked up all gone...

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com