• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT THE F@%$#@ ... HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?

Meintii

Thanks Rey, my heart skipped a beat to think about taking both cars apart to change them. I am trying visualize how that boot thing would fit up through the control arm.

The three bolts that failed on Zac's (speedwell's) car, for whatever reason, are three of the most important bolts on the car. Get those right and check them often. Stock bolts, safety wired and locktite.

I still cringe to think about this happening at speed.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The company I work for uses a lot of fasteners. I would agree that Stainless is not the way to go in this application. I also would say to be a little cautious with fasteners. The company we use has changed suppliers on us several times and really made a mess for us. What should be the same parts became offshore nightmares that did not meet the same criteria for our needs.

1975 BMW 2002 Fjord

I looked at mine (I am putting them together as we speak!) and it will fit through the hole in the lower control arm, but the manual shows it on top. Also, the bolts are plenty long enough to install it that way.

Great to have so many EXPERIENCED and KNOWLEDGEABLE people here on the FAQ!

Thank you,

rey

I'm a BMW Zombie and there's no cure!

having changed out factory ball joints, it is apparent, from the factory, the riveted joint is under the arm and for both safety and geometry that's where I put them when replacing. A parts diagram is not an assembly manual. Concour with what has been said about not using stainless for load bearing applications. Also the upper mount didn't work so good either.

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe

Roger, are you saying the ball joint sits on top of the control arm or mounts up through it?

"... It also appears your lower balljoint is mounted on top rather than under the control arm..."

under, up and through

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe

Zac,

The car is fixable...The important thing is that your ok! If you need any spares, let me know if I can help get her back on the road.

Best,

Russ

1970 Grey 02 (the never ending project)
2007 328xi coupe (DD)

and a couple hondas for the kid.

Guest Anonymous

The reason the bottom safety wire bolts cost $7.40 ex if because they are hardned. Very much hardened .... more than stainless steel could ever be. Use the correct OEM bolts and don't worry about rusting. If they get corroded, replace them in 100 years.

Guest Anonymous

......oh yeah, you can use stainless safety wire .... it won't rust and is about as hard as the standard safety wire. Stainless WIRE, OEM bolts .....

OK!?

Thanks for all the kind words! Im sure youll see my wanted ads in the wanted section from my poor ass to replace all this stuff again for the second time in 4 months.

So can I gather that the ball joint is okay installed on top of the control arm as it is? And obviously I will use OEM bolts when I put it back together.

Should I try to go after fastenal to give me some $$ for their bolts failing?

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

Metric Grade 10.9:

Sigma(y.s.) = 940Mpa

Stainless 18-8:

Sigma(y.s.) = 551MPa

Ref: http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Materials-and-Grades/Bolt-Grade-Chart.aspx

Stainless is much more ductile than hardened steel fasteners. I'd bet the bolts stretched, leading to failure after joint separation.

That's a bummer, man. That car looked awesome... I'm sure you'll get it back in shape in no time

i know i am, i'm sure i am...

Wow , that is nasty, "luckily" theses catastrophic failures happen at low speeds when there is max torque on the suspension, turning at slow speeds is the bad time, into a driveway at slow speeds=max torque load on suspension. Morris Minor "trunions", (spindle uprights) are a 5/8 thread , they shear like a carrot ,always when turning slowly or parking!! .I concur on the stainless steel bolts bad for loads & they stretch & shear very easily.

Good luck with the fix, a wake up call for us all, check them bolts !

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell