• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any VW Bug owners?

ibjettin

Back in the late 80's and early 90's i was pretty big into VW's. I had several bugs and a Kombi bus. Wrenching on them is what got me into cars. Back then I'd get parts and ideas from VW Trends and Hot VW magazines, as well as the local "Bugs Only" shop here in San Jose. If I was lucky I'd find used parts at swap meets, newspaper ads and the Penny Saver. A lot has changed since then! Now you can find anything online.. A bit dangerous at times, LOl

Anyhow, I've always wanted to get into another bug and it looks like I will this weekend. I am trading my 75 Polaris for a 61 bug. I won't be 02less! I have a 74 project I will be building but just thought a little break to get back to my roots was in order ;).

Anyone else here a VW guy/gal? I have been checking the samba but if there are other cool VW sites i'd be interested in hearing about them. I'm also looking for parts i'll most likely need.

Its a 1961, original (OG) paint with a Empi adjustable font end and wilwood disc brakes. New interior and a stock 1200 motor... Yes, 6 volt which will be the first thing to change.

I'll post some more pictures once its in my driveway, but i'm stoked and looking forward to seeing if it all comes back to me or i realize i know nothing about VW's LOL. For now here's a picture from the seller.

post-1228-13667647038494_thumb.jpg

I have always liked bugs, as well as the other air cooled VWs. I have only owned one VW, and it was a GTI. A friend and body shop owner in Fort Wayne (Ind.) had a fairly large collection of bugs, karmann ghias, plus a pickup and sand rail. I really wanted one of his two convertible ghias when he was selling most of his cars, but was finishing my education in accounting at the time and w/o funds.

Your bug looks great!

Your '61 looks really nice. My first was a '66 sunroof - dad had a '59 for a long time and a '68 Squareback.

My '72 is For Sale on the Samba website (I think down on page 12 for '68 and newer!) and on Cars.com. I also have some parts for sale (not advertised yet).

If you are going to build a different engine, I have a really nice set of Gene Berg-built dual port heads I just removed from my 1776cc. Less than 1800 road miles on them (no racing).

Stock size valves, three-angle valve job

Dual valve springs, shimmed by Berg

Semi-hemi combustion chambers

55cc chamber volume (I think)

Cut for 92mm barrels

Send me an e-mail if you are interested - or know someone who is.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 2 weeks later...

i remember i posted some VW manuals here years ago... i remember i have links on a Book called how to restore a volkswagen beetle..

Download this one till i find the rest again...

http://www.4shared.com/file/gw2SWhy7/How_to_restore_volkswagen_beet.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/Q8LTvlO0/How_to_restore_volkswagen_beet.html

Parted in 2 parts ... download both into one directory and use winrar :)

bmwfans_userbar.png

-Living in the wrong side of the world ..

Cheers

Chatroom John