• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gauging interest: Scheel Mann to stock slider kits.

eurotrash

Jason,

Glad to hear you're making progress on these adapters. I checked out my own 401's and took some pic's.

My seats already have the sliders on them along with an adaptor with a height adjustment by way of 3 holes in the frame. I take it your adaptors replace these height adjustable frames. I havn't even test fitted these to the car yet but I don't think these adapters are for an 02. I have an adapter something like this on my Recaro seat I had mounted in the 70's. You personally saw these seats up in Ipsilanti, MI when you went up to see the cars I bought from Manofsteel. I like the clean look of your brackets compared to these. This type of bracket looks crude compared to yours. Do you miss having any height adjustment or is "as low as possible" better because of the sheer size of these babies?

Mike

post-3771-13667648322187_thumb.jpg

post-3771-13667648323913_thumb.jpg

post-3771-13667648325553_thumb.jpg

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Mike, good to hear from you again!

Yeah. I had a similar set of adapters and the seats were around 2" higher in the car than they are now, on the lowest setting. I didn't like it at all. My hat rubbed the ceiling. This is what inspired me to look into using stock sliders.

One of the designs I am working on has the rake built in to the bottom, and less to the mount.

You should have a 405mm across X 340mm distance to the four corner mounting holes on the seat frames. If this is the case, the plates will be a direct fit to your seats..

email me outside the board, I have a question for you.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Hi Mike, good to hear from you again!

Yeah. I had a similar set of adapters and the seats were around 2" higher in the car than they are now, on the lowest setting. I didn't like it at all. My hat rubbed the ceiling. This is what inspired me to look into using stock sliders. on of the designs I am working on has the rake built in to the bottom, and less to the mount.

You should have a 405mm across X 340mm distance to the four corner mounting holes on the seat frames. If this is the case, the plates will be a direct fit to your seats..

email me outside the board, I have a question for you.

(O=o00o=O)

So finally took some bolt hole measurements.

Back of seat, side to side--400 mm.

Front of seat, side to side--395 mm

Front to back hole distance, both sides 345 mm.

So not consistent with your base measurements.

Was wondering if elongating the holes is a possibility to allow for differences from seat to seat, car to car.

I also have some smaller diameter holes in similar positions,but slightly wider, which someone obviously drilled.

Jason,

distance of the mounting holes on Scheels of shown type from left to right (and 95% of Recaros, too) is 405mm.

Number of mounting holes partly depends on the thread size - there is M5 and M6. Small thread, more screws. Besides that there are other differences in the amount of holes that I did not find any rules for.

I´ve got a question: Why do you guys not simply use factory approved genuine BMW parts? Is there any difference between seat mountings of US and Euro cars? I can´t see any on the photos.

This is what BMW offered for early E21 with factory Recaro sport seats and what fits perfectly for 2002, too. Some more holes to be drilled if Scheel´s mounted instead of Recaros. NLA at BMW but easy to remake - my remakes on the photos. I´m 6´2 by the way.

Regards, Lars.

Hi Lars,

do you have the measures of your seat mountings? I have just bought a pair of 401:s that I will install into my 2002.

Thanks! Micke

Photobucket

Jason,

distance of the mounting holes on Scheels of shown type from left to right (and 95% of Recaros, too) is 405mm.

Number of mounting holes partly depends on the thread size - there is M5 and M6. Small thread, more screws. Besides that there are other differences in the amount of holes that I did not find any rules for.

I´ve got a question: Why do you guys not simply use factory approved genuine BMW parts? Is there any difference between seat mountings of US and Euro cars? I can´t see any on the photos.

This is what BMW offered for early E21 with factory Recaro sport seats and what fits perfectly for 2002, too. Some more holes to be drilled if Scheel´s mounted instead of Recaros. NLA at BMW but easy to remake - my remakes on the photos. I´m 6´2 by the way.

Regards, Lars.

Hi Lars,

do you have the measures of your seat mountings? I have just bought a pair of 401:s that I will install into my 2002.

Thanks! Micke

Lars,

I also want to thank you. Looks like a simple solution. A drawing would be nice if you had it.

Mike

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Hi Lars,

Thanks! Micke

Hi Micke,

f... awesome rims on your car - looks like a great car anyway.

Contact me via email please - thank you.

Regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Lars,

Thank you for the technical drawing. The frame I'm using looks very similar and does center the seat correctly. I will have the seats out of the car soon, so will measure and compare with your drawing.

John

John,

a friend made the drawing while being bored at work - I´m not so talented in these kind of things.

The drawing is based on the original Recaro brackets for E3 (old Recaro numbers 11.17.19/11.17.29) and adapted for E9. E3 is 505mm distance between seat mounting holes in car for models up to 1975 (with the wide headrests on the standard seats / from 75 on with small headrests it is 465mm). E9 is 495mm for all years but I did not find part numbers for it in the old Recaro price lists I have. But shortening the original E3 bracket 10mm on the outside (as done on the drawing above) will work out pretty fine.

Only bracket for E9 I know is the reclining one for the Scheel 100/101 mounted in 3,0 CSL.

cslklappkonsolegesamti7m4.jpg

scheelcslseitlich07ge.jpg

Please remember: All infos for german cars (I am german and living in Frankfurt/Main), maybe differences for US market cars according to the maybe different safety belts, slider lockings etc.

Regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Lars,

I also want to thank you. Looks like a simple solution. A drawing would be nice if you had it.

Mike

Mike,

I do not have a drawing. I bought a set of used original adapters some time ago with some Recaros. Gave them to a friend with a metal work shop and had them remade for me. I´m doing upholstery here in Germany and do sell the adapters along with redone sport seats if buyer needs them.

recssportpaketseitlich872j.jpg

targalederbeigevsseitlp75c.jpg

scheelandreasschrgg7mv.jpg

Can sell you a set, too. But I would think it will get expensive with shipping costs to US and custom fees added on top.

Regards, Lars.

Já nevím, možná zítra.

These seat brackets have a frame with the dimension of 435mm X 515mm that the Scheel frame sits on. If yours fit this dimension, +/-, despite the mounting hole dimensions, I can have these produced sans the holes for the seat fasteners, and you can add them per your needs. The dimension from slider to slider should be consistent enough to have to merely bolt the sliders to the brackets and proceed to bolt them into the car. I need to confirm these numbers on a pre-74 car, but I believe it to be so.

I will have the new prototypes (open center, raked solid center) in my hands this evening, and will get you guys purchase prices by mid-week, next.

(O=o00o=O)

These seat brackets have a frame with the dimension of 435mm X 515mm that the Scheel frame sits on.

Jason,

as far as I have measured 435mm is too small if that should fit to stock sliders (not sure if I understood you right / Euro cars). Maybe different in US cars - I don´t know.

Euro cars do have 445mm from mid-hole to mid-hole between the stock sliders - at least from 69 to 77.

Regards, Lars.

Já nevím, možná zítra.

That is what I have. 445 midhole to midhole, and 480 overall width to cover the sliders. I was referring to the scheel seat frames, from which the 480 extends.

These seat brackets have a frame with the dimension of 435mm X 515mm that the Scheel frame sits on.

Jason,

as far as I have measured 435mm is too small if that should fit to stock sliders (not sure if I understood you right / Euro cars). Maybe different in US cars - I don´t know.

Euro cars do have 445mm from mid-hole to mid-hole between the stock sliders - at least from 69 to 77.

Regards, Lars.

(O=o00o=O)

That is what I have. 445 midhole to midhole, and 480 overall width to cover the sliders. I was referring to the scheel seat frames, from which the 480 extends.

OK, seems I misunderstood something (and still do not understand now). But might be my problem as I´m no native english speaker.

I know these non-BMW brackets, which will not work with stock sliders but need special Scheel or Recaro sliders:

Recaro:

konsolen027owd.jpg

konsolekennz.recarocol0.jpg

Below Konsole passend fuer KFZ-Typ (bracket fitting for vehicle type) there is normally printed by hand BMW 1502 - 2002 und Touring or BMW 1502 - 2002 turbo. Faded away over the years on mine.

Scheel/ASS:

vergleichro1s.jpg

The one in the back.

konsolekennz.scheelbp36.jpg

Regards, Lars.

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Lars. Those two recaro brackets you showed on page one are mounted on the wrong sides. They should be smooth side out, and have the sticker facing out.

Those are what gave me the idea for folded brackets, but felt high. Mine, in my original post, are 20mm tall. I am using the plate design to get the seats to feel lower, more like the 320i comfort seat I had in my car before.

If you look at the plates in the original post, you can see how the design is laid out.

(O=o00o=O)

Lars. Those two recaro brackets you showed on page one are mounted on the wrong sides. They should be smooth side out, and have the sticker facing out.

Thanks for explanation Jason,

I intentionally do mount the E21 adapters this way because I don´t like the somehow voluminous look in 02 if mounted in other position.

Those are what gave me the idea for folded brackets, but felt high. Mine, in my original post, are 20mm tall. I am using the plate design to get the seats to feel lower, more like the 320i comfort seat I had in my car before.

If you look at the plates in the original post, you can see how the design is laid out.

I understand that, too. We´ve discussed that "feeling high" problem over here in Germany also. I don´t know in what conditions your E21 seats were (with comfort seats you do mean standard E21 seats, yes?), but mostly standard seats 02 and E21 are meanwhile a little worn out and you sink in deeply in them. So this position of seating is not really a comparative scale - one sits quite a bit higher when those standard seats are like new.

Additonally if you often drive newer cars besides the 02 with their high window lines in which you feel like sitting in a bathtub (at least I do) and you directly compare that feeling to a 2002 with its low window line and wide glass areas it is obvious that you think you´re sitting high like on a salver.

IMHO for 02 one should use Scheel 201 / ASS 203 (nearly the same, just different years of make) - 401 and 501 are a bit to big.

203 with big side bolsters:

scheel203orig.frontalyk6s.jpg

On those 401/501 one can work on the bottom foam cushion a bit and of course your solution might help also with winning 20mm. Cannot be used with Recaros N and LS though because their frame bottom isn´t flat (does not matter if only Scheel use intended).

Best regards, Lars.

Já nevím, možná zítra.