• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gauging interest: Scheel Mann to stock slider kits.

eurotrash

Jason,

I am interested in a set. I have the 401's and I need to get this done too.

Let me know when you have it together. It looks great in your car. I'm 5'9" and I think your height is OK from the look of your last pic. Looks like you're centered about as well as you could be considering the size of these babies. Did you notice the slight offset from behind the wheel?

Thanks

Mike

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still interested in what you finally come up with, potential cost, and when you might have them available.

On the "plate" option from your original post, what are the two pair of holes for, half-way down? I might be over-thinking this a bit, but since most upholstered items....sofas, bed box frames, car seats usually have an open bottom in order for it to breathe, would the full plate option possibly trap moisture in the seat?

Thx

Tony,

The seats have six mounting points for the Scheel sliders. I used the two outer holes that were furthest from center, and left the two middle holes for flexibility/stability. It wasn't until I test fitted them that I realized that the center holes present an assembly challenge and mandate drilling the seat adjuster rail for access. As would the holes that I deleted front and rear. This is caused by the seat width intersecting the slider width.

We are waiting for a production price from the guy with the CNC machine. Material prices are the same, no matter the design, for it is based on the outer dimensions.

I am going to offer a version with the center cut out entirely. As well, a version with the center cut and bent to angle the seat base lower in the back. While moisture wasn't on my radar (closed cell foam doesn't absorb, nor breathe), both of these will remedy any concerns and allow ventilation..

I am trying to decide on a finish. Bare would keep the price down of course. Either priming/painting or powder coating would be optional.

I would say that painting would be wise, so it can be touched up if one needs to make any slight alterations for fitment into their specific car.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I am going to offer a version with the center cut out entirely. As well, a version with the center cut and bent to angle the seat base lower in the back.

Hi Jason,

These sound very promising. Looking forward to seeing what the prototypes look like. Thanks,

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

The good news is our seats look really similar.

Mine have both a recline, and full tilt forward levers on the outside of the seat.

But only 4 mounting points. I don't have any other mounting hardware at all.

I'll have to take some spacing measurements this weekend.

post-1616-13667647474127_thumb.jpg

post-1616-13667647475301_thumb.jpg

post-1616-13667647476382_thumb.jpg

post-1616-13667647477399_thumb.jpg

It seems like every set of Scheel seats I see are different. They must have made a lot of variations over the years.

Here's where the ones I bought from "the carpet queen" Esty ended up. These are mounted using Recaro sliders and frames from 'Wedge Engineering' in my coupe.

post-1307-13667647493262_thumb.jpg

post-1307-13667647494464_thumb.jpg

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Tony, can you measure the distance between the mounting holes, left to right and front to back in mm for me? As well as the over all width of the seat frame?

If you seats were re upholstered, there may be more mounting holes under the vinyl.

The mechanisms on those are very similar to mine. Mine have the tilt on the outside, and the recline on the in side.

(O=o00o=O)

• 2 weeks later...

I will have the prototypes for the open center version, as well as the ramped center version on Monday. So we will have something solid next week.

After a test run with the ramped center set, I will report back and post photos and prices.

(O=o00o=O)

John,

I don´t know the frames from Wedge Engineering (I´m german) but maybe this might help to lower and center your seats. Drawing is for passenger side, needs to be mirrored for driver.

Regards, Lars.

post-1616-13667648201251_thumb.jpg

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Lars,

Thank you for the technical drawing. The frame I'm using looks very similar and does center the seat correctly. I will have the seats out of the car soon, so will measure and compare with your drawing.

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Jason,

distance of the mounting holes on Scheels of shown type from left to right (and 95% of Recaros, too) is 405mm.

Number of mounting holes partly depends on the thread size - there is M5 and M6. Small thread, more screws. Besides that there are other differences in the amount of holes that I did not find any rules for.

I´ve got a question: Why do you guys not simply use factory approved genuine BMW parts? Is there any difference between seat mountings of US and Euro cars? I can´t see any on the photos.

This is what BMW offered for early E21 with factory Recaro sport seats and what fits perfectly for 2002, too. Some more holes to be drilled if Scheel´s mounted instead of Recaros. NLA at BMW but easy to remake - my remakes on the photos. I´m 6´2 by the way.

Regards, Lars.

post-3771-1366764820659_thumb.jpg

post-3771-1366764820867_thumb.jpg

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Hi JRK My seats are ASS Auto Sport Spezialsitze. KBA 900 13 is the type.

But I believe that this is the Scheel logo as well.

No idea what they originally came in or if they were only available aftermarket.

Lars, your adapters look very simple and effective. Thanks for the pictures.

post-16304-1366764822701_thumb.jpg