• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changing auto trans to manual- 318ti

SteveJ

My son is car shopping. My wife found a decent looking '95 318ti for him, however, the car is an auto trans car. How much work/parts would be involved in doing a transmission swap to manual?

I'm going to figure transmission, pedal box, fluid reservoir, and a driveshaft. Any other things I'm not remembering?

Any other trouble spots I should look out for on E36's? I already curse all the easily broken plastic bits on the E46 we are wrenching on right now.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

engine harness, ecu.....iirc, that auto tranny is electronically controlled. you may have to swap more stuff in to do the manual. i wouldn't do the swap unless i was doing an engine swap too (m50, s50). not worth it

there should be other 318ti's around, i would wait for one with trans you want.

2xM3

Thanks.

Damn new cars.

There was a real clean 320i that got snapped up. I believe it may have been a possible 320is. Seen a couple of real rough 318ti's as well. Just waiting for the 'right' one.

Steve J

& too many bikes

I was believing it would be a bolt-up type install. Basically, all these cars start out the same, and then get mated up to a manual or auto transmission. The tough part would be figuring out what auto trans parts get yanked and trying to source the manual parts.

The speed sensor should be off the diff, what is left to be electronics on the manual transmission? The back up switch.

Steve J

& too many bikes