• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Welding for beginners?

323IJOE

I'm looking into starting a 02 project and being able to solve rust issues is obviously a big part of it. Did anyone here just learn how to weld in new rocker and plates on their own ?

I definitely would love to do everything on my own and learn how to weld but is it something that i can easily pick up. keeping i'm mind i'm not a total dumbass and love hands on type of work.

And if did learn how to weld on your own, shoot me inks of good info on where to get started researching

Get a welder (MIG) and some scrap metal and go at it. Thats how I learned.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

MIG welding is probably the easiest type of welding. I wouldnt say it's the strongest but MIG works well on most car sheetmetal repair. If you get good TIG is even better on sheetmetal repair but is very hard to do well.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Yes a mig welder is what you want. You can get plenty of power out of a name brand 110v welder for sheet metal repair. I've been a welder/fabricator for almost ten years, Ive taught people how to mig weld. You should get a beginning welding book of some kind(automotive related even better) that has at least a chapter on mig welding. Once you feel comfortable setting up the machine and have an idea what settings do what, practice practice practice... Just run beads on some clean scrap until you get the hang of it.

Check craigslist. don't be tempted by flux core wire unless you really have no budget. It can be cheaper but its a pain for beginning welding.. so get a miller hobart lincoln esab... and get a bottle. You can email me if you have a specific questions...

p.s. Welding is Awesome! and it comes in real handy.

Center Exit.

keeping i'm mind i'm not a total dumbass

Pretty much no '02 owner is a 'total dumbass', but, we may do some dumb ass stuff.

I recall that Eastwood had some books and/or videos on restoration. Probably some info in there on welding. They do sell all the metal forming tools for body panel replacements.

I've been watching the welding threads and seem to think the best set-up for a beginner is a namebrand, 110v, MIG. I may bite at this and finally get a welder soon. I've been soldering electronics for years and even got my 2M cert in the Navy. Unfortuantely, the only welding I have done has involved car batteries and various tools.

Will the MIG set up work for filling in holes in the sheet metal, like trim holes or previous owner drilled holes? I seem to recall something about using a copper plate on the back side and building up a bead in the hole.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

• 3 weeks later...

Check Millerwelds.com for some good info. If there is a class in your area at the voc tech take it. They are just starting up this time of the year. You can futz around and learn to weld, but there is more to it than getting two pieces of metal to stick together.

Getting into rust repair, I would suggest that you check the cost of replacement body panels and the time to do this. Overlay that on the cost of an "all ready done" body and make the decision.. Welcome aboard!