• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driving in the rain

Scott Sislane

I leave the 02 home if I think it may rain (or if it's not running!) and today got caught in a crazy rain storm coming home. Finally feeling like I have things sorted, it was kinda fun. Speeding up our little bumpy road, felt like I was in that ad where the guy walks past the p-car & takes the 02 out in the storm. Tires, wipers, brakes, suspension, motor, lights... yay

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Curious as to how fast our wipers should be...Back c.1976, my 72 was on a par with what I would call modern wipers (but my memories are worn..) My current 76 seems less than swift, even on high...I don't guess that anyone has ever made a video of "proper" speed(s)?....or where the "repeat-time" could be found?

Sorry to sort of step on your thread, Scott. Like you, if it's really coming down, the 02 stays home...especially if there's any chance of that solid 40K foot high ice cube rain. Hail no, we wont go....

Dave V. in NC

I could time mine. Mine are on a 76 with minimal use/Miles. Its got 74k since new so its probably pretty close to what they should be. Edit: When it rains in WA again that is....

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

ya, I should've added 'solid fan' to the list. My wipers (76) don't go that fast compared to my american DD, but they clear the glass as quickly as needed, and the motor is very strong. My intermitent position went to the wayside and is constant. It worked fine last year. Guess I need to look at the relay. (?)

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

On the way to PVGP 2009 up Interstate 70. Bill & Ruth Williams' trailer in front of me, Bill Riblett's 6-series is behind me.

d677af14.jpg

MidAmerica Fest drive 2010. Martin's Touring just ahead.

pics4242010038-1.jpg

Installing intermittant wipers in my car made a world of difference (along with new blades, wiper posts, rods and TS/Wiper switch). Roundie owners should contact Sherman Martinez for his intermittant wiper relay kit.

pics11609017.jpg

New relay and harness installed

pics11709004.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Roundie owners should contact Sherman Martinez for his intermittant wiper relay kit.

+1, I got both the Roundie and the Sponge-Bob Square tail kits from Sherman. They are used almost every day here on the foggy Central California coast. Probably one of the best upgrades I ever made on my cars. The '74 square-tails didn't come standard with the intermittant setup like the 75s & 76s did, but were wired for them. You need to add the three position stalk and the relay, but it's plug and play.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

ya, I should've added 'solid fan' to the list. My wipers (76) don't go that fast compared to my american DD, but they clear the glass as quickly as needed, and the motor is very strong. My intermitent position went to the wayside and is constant. It worked fine last year. Guess I need to look at the relay. (?)

samba in the rayeeyaayyeean!Rain-Ex or wax makes mine a little better

70' 1600 Malaga

75' 2002 polaris 91-95

2000 328i 95k

2003 GMC Envoy-stolen and replaced

2010 GMC ACADIA

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 247k

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Three years now without wipers, but I'm on the sunny california coast... Rain-x does the trick for me.

1971 BMW 2002

38/38 DGAS

292 cam

TEP 4-1 header

Ansa Sport muffler

Bilstein Sports

H/R Sports

Full Urethane

Bavaria Control Arms/02 Tension Rods

IE adjustable sways

15x7 König Rewind