• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tires currently available for stock 5J x 13 steel wheels?

Bimmer02

I am pushing hard to get my car off the body dolly (for the past year) and back into a "roller" status. Last item on my checklist is wheels and tires. I happen to like the stock 5J x 13 steel wheels but have been challenged with the very limited selection of tires for 13 inch wheels. So far the ONLY tire I have found readily available locally is the General Tire Altimax RT in 175.70R13 at $64.00 per tire at Sears or Hogan Tire for $80.00 (guess I'll buy from Sears). Other than this I just find shaved, racing tires which are no good for daily street use. Any other suggestions?

1968 1602 (body shell)(thanks SCR!)

1973 2002 (parts donor)(terminal NE rust)

1974 Tii (crushed, but rising from the ashes!)

heck, its just another winter in New England - the Tii will live again!!!

Costco sells a very affordable Michelin XRadial in 175 70R13 that I have on my '73 and they work great! Cheap, too.

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

for the 5j x 13 rim, as it's within a few revs/mile of the OEM 165/80 x 13 tire (thus your speedometer/odometer will read correctly) and puts more rubber on the ground than a smaller size. some folks have fitted 205/60 x13 tires to 5j rims, but that's kinda pushing it. See the 185s at...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?autoYear=1973&autoMake=BMW&autoModel=2002&autoModClar=&sortCode=31900&width=185/&ratio=70&diameter=13&minSpeedRating=T

I'm sure there are other mail order tire places that have that size too.

I have a set of the Sumitomos on my '69 and while they're not exactly high performance, they're more than adequate for spirited street driving, wet or dry. I even autocrossed 'em with pretty good results.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks for the replies. I love Kumho tires - run a set on my 1974 Porsche 914 2.0 with very good results. Mike - your response re the best tire size is very helpful. Going to go the Tire Rack route.

Thanks for the replies. I love Kumho tires - run a set on my 1974 Porsche 914 2.0 with very good results. Mike - your response re the best tire size is very helpful. Going to go the Tire Rack route.

Use the TireRack banner ad in this link and the FAQ gets a 6% commission:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,32/category_id,9/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,59/

--> 1968 2002 <--

Glad to do anything to give FAQ a commission! Too bad you don't have a banner deal with Walloth u. Nesch as they have gotten quite a bit of business from me.