• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLD!! 1973 Roundie with all the extra parts

CapeCodJohn

Thank You to all who inquired about the car. It will be making its way back to its roots in California! The buyer will be driving it home.

Cape Cod John

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/?start_tab=sets

1973 BMW 2002

Color: Atlantik Blue - original color: Colorado Orange

Purchased from Seattle, WA in March 2005

- Completely stripped down over 2005/2006. Engine out, interior out, all lights & trim off, black tar removed from interior floor, front fenders removed.

- Minor rust spot in passenger floor repaired, surface rust around pedal box and spare tire well ground down.

- POR-15 over entire floor, behind and under front fenders, spare well, engine compartment.

- Front and rear windshields removed. Front replaced with new, new gaskets for front and rear

- Sanded through several layers of paint – originally Colorado Orange, then metallic gold (!), then squirted BAD screaming Orange. Thus my switch to Blue. It wasn’t original anymore!

- Painted Atlantik Blue, reassembled, driven.

- No winter/salt driving

- Car spent time in Hawaii, has a Hawaiian inspection sticker on the rear bumper. I left it on, I thought it was cool.

- Bilstein shocks and struts.

Engine:

~120K miles. Runs great. No smoke, good compression, no overheating.

- New: alternator, water pump, pertronix ignition, wires (3 weeks ago), all belts/hoses, carb rebuilt and jetted 3 weeks ago, valves adjusted, motor mount (the one that always breaks) re-welded and reinforced with steel

Gear box: shifts smooth, no syncro grinding when gearing up, fluid drained and replaced when engine/transmission out of the car, shifter is OK, could use new bushings, etc at some point.

Other new stuff: (within 5K miles:

- Center link, tie rod ends

- Rear brakes and brake cylinders

- Front pads – have new rotors to install

- Heat shield in engine

- Front windshield

- Gaskets on front/rear windshield

- Fat Mat in interior floor

- Clutch slave cylinder

- Tires (rims purchased on ebay).

- Guibo on driveshaft

- Grant wood steering wheel – used in very good condition

- Battery

Interior:

- Seats are in need. I have added padding and put seat covers on. They are functional

- Dash has the usual crack in the center

- Center console is in good condition.

- Carpeting is new, installed by me.

- Headliner is not ripped, could use a cleaning

- Rubber around doors and windows could use replacement.

Exterior:

- Hood has some issues. It is not totally straight in the front and has some bubbling beginning. It will need attention. I have an extra hood that could be restored…..

- Rocker panels are solid A-1

- Shock towers are A-1

- Trunk lid is A-1

- Wheel wells (rear) are A-1

- Front fenders are A-1

- Front grills are OK, not immaculate –see pictures

- Rear end is A-1

- Spare tire well had some pin hole rust. I ground to bare metal, primed and painted with POR-15 in and out.

- Trim is great from 10 feet. I did not replace it, I cleaned it and reinstalled.

- Bumpers are excellent. I took them off, cleaned completely and primed them inside to prevent rust.

Other parts in my inventory: (from what I am recalling from memory…..there is more!)

• Hood

• Trunk lid

• Entire front sub-frame-strut assemblies-steering box

• Rear windshield

• Other window glass

• E-brake cables – new

• 3 instrument clusters

• About 3 sets of front directional lights – one left front is euro

• Brand new front brake rotors –haven’t had time to install them

• Rear deck with speaker holes

• Rear deck without speaker holes

• Inside door panels with speaker holes

• Inside door panels without speaker holes

• Several column switches – directionals, high-low beam, etc – a couple are brand new

• One complete set of original steel rims w/ tires and hubcaps

• One complete set of 320i rims w/ beauty rings

• Extra heater core

• Extra radiator

• Extra gas tank – slight leak along a seam, otherwise A-1 condition

• Extra engine – condition unknown – pulled out of a rat – mounted on a pallet with wheels.

• 2 extra gear boxes

• A box of tail lights

• 2 extra sets of headlight buckets

• Tons of bulbs, switches, etc

• A box full of engine gaskets, etc.

• Original ‘bus’ steering wheel

• Dyno leather racing steering wheel

• Extra beltline trim pieces

• Some lower level trim

• Extra trunk pieces (gray)

• Several owner’s manuals, tool kits

• About 8 other bins full of parts, some used, many new

• A few alternators

• 1 brand new window crank regulator (?) – goes inside the door to raise/lower the window.

• 2 rear mufflers – 1 in like new condition, 1 in good condition

The situation:

• Too many teenagers in my house (four) and to many cars.

• I never let the teens drive this car.

• Just bought an 88 325i convertible.

• Time to sell “The Blueberry” and ALL the parts I have accumulated over the years.

• I took the car down and arrested the minor rust that had begun to crop up.

• It is now time for someone else to take the car to the next level.

• I have done a bunch of stuff so the baseline is solid.

From what I have seen pricewise over the past 5 years of looking regularly, this is a solid $3,800 - $5,000 car. I have another $500 worth of parts I’d guess if I sold them piecemeal.

I am looking to come away with $4,000 for the car and all the parts. I think it is a fair price.

Also, this is a package deal. I want to see all this stuff go to someone who will use it/sell it, whatever.

It is driveable immediately. I have been commuting 130 miles round trip once a week for most of the summer. Hums along at 65 - 70 mph with no issues.

It has a $1400 IPod ready stereo system, component speakers, and powered subwoofer installed right now that will be removed unless the buyer wants to kick in an extra $650.

Pictures are attached.

Thanks for your interest and help sending to your group.

Regards,

John Paul

774-291-9782 – mobile

Car is in Falmouth, on Cape Cod.

74 2002 auto

73 2002

72 2002

76 2002

72 2002 - my midlife crisis car

John: I live on the North Shore. I am 1+ years into a restoration project but would be very interested in coming to look at your car and the assorted parts you describe. Falmouth is a day's ride for me and I am on vacation next week. You can reach me at harris_law@verizon.net or my cell is (978) 204-1202. William Harris

1968 1602 (body shell)(thanks SCR!)

1973 2002 (parts donor)(terminal NE rust)

1974 Tii (crushed, but rising from the ashes!)

heck, its just another winter in New England - the Tii will live again!!!

• 3 months later...

I took a look at in a few months ago..not a bad car...super nice seller. email me via the link if you have any questions about the car.

My 2002 was manufactured on September 15th, 1971 and delivered on October 22nd, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023. It was sold on New Years Eve December 31st 1971.

I too have had an experience with this car......

*NEVER* buy a car without inspecting it in person first!!!!!

"The devil is in the details"

"Things are not always what they seem."

"You can't judge a book by its cover."

etc.

Oh, did I mention, *NEVER* buy a car without inspecting it in person first!!!!!

1973 Golf Totaled in 1979

1971 Chamonix Sold

1972 Tii Verona Sold

1973 Inka Sold

1971 Malaga Totaled in 1984

1973 Agave Sold

1973 Agave auto Sold

2000 R1150 GS current

Something was up with this. This car sold for less than 'buy it now price' of 3500. This car was supposed to be listed for 6 days and then closed early for 3100. Weird. I emailed John with my interest and was attempting to schedule a visit when it sold.

Then today I got an email about my ebay account getting "compromised".

I hope this sale was real...

73 inka

• 5 weeks later...
Something was up with this. This car sold for less than 'buy it now price' of 3500. This car was supposed to be listed for 6 days and then closed early for 3100. Weird. I emailed John with my interest and was attempting to schedule a visit when it sold.

Then today I got an email about my ebay account getting "compromised".

I hope this sale was real...

Sale was real.. Car actually ended up being bought by someone overseas... Last I heard it was in a container on its way to Germany...

My 2002 was manufactured on September 15th, 1971 and delivered on October 22nd, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023. It was sold on New Years Eve December 31st 1971.

How do you know sale was real?

Well, I guess one can never fully know if it was for real unless i see a bill of sale or something, but when spoke with the seller, it didn't seem like he had a reason to lie. When I met him in person, he seemed like an honest guy.

In any event it seems like you got a great car. Will be interested to see more updates and pictures once you get it.