• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 2002 Turbo ... Your thoughts please

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

2002AD has a turbo for sale.

Needs radiator, air box, exhaust, oil cooler, altitude compensator, battery, some trunk furniture, windshield washer pump, some hoses.

Interior is ok at best.

Needs new paint, no rot anywhere,

Has a five speed tranny, 64k miles, non-original minilite style wheel

Going on this info isn't 17.5k$ high on a price?

Thoughts?

photos please!

If it was 100% there and not rusty, that is a fair price. However, IMHO given the cost for many of the bits known to be needed and those you'll discover along the way in just getting it back on the road. You'll be better off buying one already done since you will spend more than it is worth to totally restore it in this economy.

I paid almost $500 for a functional altitude comp. Finding another working one is gonna be an experience in patience.

Best advice is not to restore it and leave it as a "barn find" since that is next big movement in car nut land. Buy and hold, let it get a couple of mm's of dust and grime, then unearth it when Wayne Carini comes to town. If you got the means.

post-2154-13667647786486_thumb.jpg

But what do I know

It was supposedly sold on Ebay Feb '10 for $15,900. It was stated as a disassembled project car. The motor was out.

It appeared again on Ebay Mar-Apr '10 and was supposedly being restored and the Seller wanted $50k when the resto was finished. I guess not!

The car certainly seems to have been ridden and put up wet, even if has only 65k on it.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

IF it really is complete. Head in usable condition (with correct usable exhaust valves and exhaust manifold studs) Exhaust manifold (not cracked) Turbo (complete and rebuildable) Correct block (right SN for car and usable) Injection Pump AND Altitude compensator. Correct speedo, clock and boost gauge with instrument pod. Seats and dash face. Front struts, rotors and calipers, trailing arms and TURBO stub axles. 70 liter fuel tank. Rear bumber with license plate lights. Then the price is not totaly out of line depending on the condition of the body. The amount of rust is always a huge factor in the cost of restoration.

IF the body is in good condition and you only need to do very minor rust repair aftern stripping it to bare metal by the time you do a complete restoration you will have spent a minimum of $45K (on top of the $17.5 purchase price)and that is with you doing a lot of the final assembly and parts chasing yourself. Unless you REALLY want the expierence of restoring a 2002 I would recomend you buy one that is already done, that you can inspect and know for sure it is in good shape and have a car you can drive the day you take delivery. I can tell you from expierence you will spend the same amount of money and won't have a Turbo to drive for 2-3 years if you are lucky.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Having had a "pro" turbo restoration done, what resources are available? Double that number. As said, if all the numbers match and it is complete, it is doable, but consider what $17.5k would buy in a sweet roundie tii. That is the question, imho! Do you have the skills to do this? If not that really cool done tii looks very very good. I believe I've heard of this car coming around the horn again and again. Why did others bail? Good luck!

Guest Anonymous

I appreciate your input. They are not budging in price.....overseas owner....bummed to say the least.

I'm thinking I may go with the blue Tii that needs paint with only 70k miles on it....