• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do 73 Tii and 74 Tii kugels interchange?

austinmf

You need to make sure that you use a matched set of components from the same year of tii '73 or '74.

Things I know that are different:

Distributor: '73 is centrifical advance, '74 uses vacuum advance.

Manifold: '74 has extra pipe for vacuum advance hose.

Air Filter Housing: '74 Has extra air limiting device mounted on air filter housing for vacuum advance.

Throttle body: Difference between the '73 & '74 in how you adjust. I've heard that the '74 is easier to adjust.

Injecton pump (curve): I think that there are differences between the '73 & '74, but I don't know the specifics.

And then there's the '72 with the different 121 head which I know nothing about. ;-)

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I know the pumps are suppose to be model year specific and I have heard the reasons. BUT, with all the changes made to these cars by POS and wear and tear. I am not sure that pumps can not be interchanged.

Things just aren't what they were 37-39 years ago, I am talking cars here.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

You can mix and match, but it makes things much harder to tune.

I ran an early '72/'73 TB on my '74 for awhile.

Switched to the later one and it was much easier to tune (and much happier in the end).

The advice is right, try to stay with year specific if you can. It will make it easier to follow the book to tune.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net