• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for a good e30 for my daughter

nbristow01

Teach her to drive a 5 speed. I gave my 16 year old daughter a 86 325e 5 speed as her first car and told her if she wants to drive, she's got to learn how to drive a stick. She quickly mastered it and is now a pro at driving a stick. Trust me, if she can learn, anyone can because she has a hard time walking and chewing gum at the same time. E30 eta cars make great first time cars for teenagers, they have big diving board bumpers. A bonus is a stick will keep your daughter off the cell phone while driving.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Good choice....I did one 91 E30 vert (auto) for the older duaghter when she turned 16 and a 72 tii that we made and auto for the younger daughter when she turned 16.

Both of them "LOVE" their cars.

post-17424-13667647992728_thumb.jpg

post-17424-13667647993647_thumb.jpg

<p>69 (M2 Project-stalled); 72tii (a) Taiga/ m42 swap in process;91 E30 vert; 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS; 65 Mustang fastback 500hp+ resto mod in process ;72 Porsche 911s project; 70 2002 M2 2.5L getting closer

First, debate which engine you want eta or i or the later m42. Then spend about the amount of time you would to find a good '02 to find the right E30. Some of the better ones (not all, mind you) are adult owned and from BMWCCA members. As with an '02, you are buying the former owner's care as much as the car.

The usual stuff applies - look very carefully for rust and make sure the timing belt and water pump have been done or you will need to. Check out the RV3 Limited website. Marshall's point about the air bag makes sense re: safety, but that will limit your search even more. The big bumpered E30's are probably a little safer than the plastic, but lack airbags. If you end up buying a 325is, 5 speed... you are going to end up driving the car more than your daughter -- just saying.

Good luck.

-Marc

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst