• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$3000 Chamonix 74 2002 in NoVA

ClayW

I looked at this car last spring when he was asking something like $4,500 for it. It's been on craigslist intermittently for months with the price slightly lower each time. Now he is including "OBO" in the listing, so maybe it's time for someone to make a "good while I'm standing here" lowball cash offer.

When I went to look at it I didn't even bother to take a drive because I knew I was looking for something better.

Anyway, what I remember:

-Those wheels are from a MINI Cooper--while they look OK in the pics they look odd on the car in person--the proportions are just wrong. Two of the wheel bolts had been broken off, presumably when the lug nuts were over-torqued. The factory wheels were in the trunk--I think I'd stick with those and sell the MINI wheels

-Not Chamonix, it's a tired white paint on top of the original Polaris silver, part of the original paint sticker was still visible under the hood.

-The seats were actually pretty good, though hard to know for sure with all the junk piled on them.

-It started right up and idled fine.

--Some issues with the transmission and/or shifter mount--I'm not sure welding alone will repair it.

-Some rust--I can't remember exactly where except that I noted it was there. Neither horrible nor rust free (mind you, this was a cursory review as I had decided on first sight that I wasn't going to buy it).

-Quarts of oil in the trunk--maybe it needs to be topped off periodically....

This is probably a good project for someone who has time and tools. The seller didn't seem in a hurry to sell last spring, but who knows .......