• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C.S.C....

tjones02

Customer

Supplied

Crap

Long story, just needed to vent. :b....

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

But, it can go both ways. How many glass installers are using aftermarket windsheild seals? I know I'll be arriving with my factory seal telling them to use it.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Ah, but that's for a run of the mill shop that doesn't know any better.....

1st: I can spot a Chinese cardboard box from across the shop. Sometimes even a "normal" OEM brand gets things made offshore. Figured, what the H, I'll try it once... Tried to use the contents of said box and ended up removing said part right after installation. Called the supplier for a return as defective....

E39 front window regulator; don't use VDO brand, it's made in Taiwan....

Next... early Euro M6.... Miller MAF conversion supplied by customer. Now, we've installed these before with good success. But, this time the customer was the one who dealt with Miller to get the parts.... Long story short.... now we are calling Miller for the correct parts.

Next... E9 brake booster. Restoring the engine bay of said coupe. Let's say that a reputable restorer did a decent but not not good enough job for this customer. Come down to it we're having to take the paint off the booster for a third time because there's 40 grit sanding marks that are going to need filler sanding primer before color can be shot this time. That or tell the customer his car needs a replacement booster.

Next.... Customers attempting their own work.... Then dropping on us when it doesn't turn out as expected.... Why does my Tii run like S?? Maybe because the timing is 38 deg advanced at idle and.... and.... and... Oh, and the head you installed 300 miles ago is cracked... chocolate milkshake...

Same customer... why does my car drive like S? Maybe because your tie rods are installed backwards and the toe is 3/4" out.....

I've got a million of 'em. That's enough for now.....

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Aren't all shops required to post their labor rates?

Remember the old sign:

Labor rates = $50/hour

If someone else worked on it first = $60/hour

If you worked on it first and lie about it = $100/hour

I know I get it with medical equipment that was designed without any thought of servicing the equipment in the future. How am I supposed to get to this adjustment screw when the housing surrounding it is glued in place? Makes you really appreciate good, servicable designs...like a 2002!

BTW: the last BMW roundel I bought said "made in Tiawan"

Also,also by the way: The Chinese and Tiawanese shops CAN do good work. The designers just have to specify every minute detail. Usually it's these details that are taken for granted in the US or Germany or Italy, etc...as just being part of the design. Case in point- My friend had some bicycles manufactured in Tiawan. There were three bolts that were included in the build sheet, but were just supposed to be included with the shipment. My friend did not specify where the bolts were supposed to be, or how they were to be packed. The bolts ended up loose in the box and he recieved ascratched up framesets. He now specifies that the three extra bolts shall be placed in a plastic bag taped to the inside of the box.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes