• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for LSD do you like your lsd ? and is it worh it

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am doing a fuel injected motor with a 5 speed trans. thinking of putting in the LSD rear end just wondering how you guys like the conversion and any recommendations.

The rear end only cost labor. also looking for a good write up for the conversion.

Depends:

How tight is it . does the oversteer? a tight % will increase the oversteer.

Loose is fast if you are ready for loose. Push is bad

FYI the Baroness got 02 bars and Kybs in the rear. She is on the edge of loose. 85 mpg in slow cuves on the Dutch Abahn and you counter steer gently.I love it Loose is fast.

3421912 ask john

Red Baron a 74 sedanw/ dual webers ,spring,steins,bars. body shop for a full make over

Red Baroness a 71 1600 touring new to me and on the street in Limburg

Old Reliable a 93 318 m42's are soooo cool

My 320i that was recently sold had a 3.91 w/five speed from an '82 E21 and worked great.

Ahhh! I loved that car.

I would give it furtive glances at the Vintage.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Depends:

How tight is it . does the oversteer? a tight % will increase the oversteer.

Loose is fast if you are ready for loose. Push is bad

FYI the Baroness got 02 bars and Kybs in the rear. She is on the edge of loose. 85 mpg in slow cuves on the Dutch Abahn and you counter steer gently.I love it Loose is fast.

loose is slow. neutral is fast. if anything is sliding it is slowing you down, front or rear... it may feel "exciting" but it is certainly not fast....

by "tight %" are you refering to the amount of lock up? a higher lock diff does not automatically mean increase in oversteer.

2xM3

John, that 320i represented a lot of time, effort, and one-off pieces. It's local so I still see it around. Just had too many cars for the amount of space. Eventually, the crazy hot rod '73 will be for sale. I'm making subtle improvements - brakes and new Stahl custom header presently. The major work that's behind me. As mentioned before, we need to tear it up once you car is together.

post-70-13667648238501_thumb.jpg

If you drive like my mother- in- law, then no, it's not worth it.

If you never drive on wet or snowy pavement, then no, it's not worth it.

If your front is stiff and your rear is floppy, then no, it's not worth it.

Otherwise, sure, it's nice.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

John, that 320i represented a lot of time, effort, and one-off pieces. It's local so I still see it around. Just had too many cars for the amount of space. Eventually, the crazy hot rod '73 will be for sale. I'm making subtle improvements - brakes and new Stahl custom header presently. The major work that's behind me. As mentioned before, we need to tear it up once you car is together.

Wow - Larry I didn't know you had this car! Very nice. Please tell me about it and your modifications. Uh oh, I'm in trouble now.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

If you drive like my mother- in- law, then no, it's not worth it.

If you never drive on wet or snowy pavement, then no, it's not worth it.

If your front is stiff and your rear is floppy, then no, it's not worth it.

Otherwise, sure, it's nice.

t

If your old spider gears looked like this, then another one with LSD is worth it.

pics1102010006.jpg

Even with another good open diff installed in my car, the rear end breaks loose during fun runs in the mountains. I can feel the wheel lifting in a tight corner, the rpm's will go up and I'll slow down. A 3.91 LSD swap this winter is in my schedule.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"