• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decent deal on Albuquerque car?

zheg

I might drive to Albuquerque to grab this guy this weekend. It needs a tranny, but the guy says it runs, otherwise. Couple rust spots but nothing huge & the trunk, wheel well, and floorboards are clean. Clearcoat is all but gone but the paint is still in tact. Was re-painted though... Used to be Colorado & is now Fjord. You can see some of the old orange in the trunk and engine bay.

Anyway, decent deal for $550 plus the cost of the drive down & trailer it back to Denver (~$350) or should I keep looking? I'd hate to drive all the way down there & end up with something unusable...

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/2569784068.html

Key issue is the rust, if it's minor, I would say jump on it because anything mechanical is easy to fix compared to major rust and bodywork. Once you get it mechanically sorted out, repaint it back to Colorado, that's an awesome color. Check out this thread to see what a Colorado orange 02 looks like with a new paint job.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,361845/highlight,/

If you score this car, start a project blog on the blog page of the 2002FAQ and keep us updated on your project status.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Gordon is right. Also, check out the seller over the phone. Find out if anyone will vouch for his/her integrity. You will need lots of photos before you go to all that trouble for an '02 that could be a mess. I have done pretty well buying used cars -- if I am not comfortable with the seller in any way, I don't buy the car. If you feel like you're being pressured, b.s.'d, buttered-up, whatever, get out! If it's too good to be true, well you know the rest.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Hi, i saw this car a few weeks ago, it is definitely a PROJECT car that will need alot of attention. The owner understates the rust issues it has alot on fenders and wheel wells doors, i cant remember about the rear shock towers but they must not have been that bad as i did not remember that.

the owner was not there when i looked at it so i did not see or hear the engine. too much of a project for me so i never bothered meeting with the seller. if you are looking to do a complete resto then this if for you, if not keep looking. he will probably come down on price as his apartment complex wants it gone.

HTH

Frank

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD