• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior Finished

HBChris

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chris, one more question. The shape of your seats look perfect, not flat, not over stuffed.

Did you replace the horse hair pads, or what stuffing did you use?

Thanks for the info.

Ross

Looks like cat hair pads. LOL!

I doubt it, cat hair pads were special order and have been NLA for quite awhile!

Maximillian may still have a set as NOS, call them and ask ....

I have the early wide seats, makes it a little harder to grab handbrake and fasten belts. The guy who sewed the vinyl added something above the original pads, they were not replaced, but it does give a flat look and feel. Very comfortable for my long legs too.

Chris

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Andy

It is a driver for sure! It will take me Starbucks, Trader Joe's and Cars and Coffee. I will need to make or find some floor mats or maybe sisal mats though.

Chris

HBChris

absolutely to die for beautiful...i love that it isn't black...

i have a couple of questions about the carpet...i've always been curious if the wool square weave was original in the o2's...i've never seen, to my knowledge an original interior of a roundie...all had been work'd on and the square tails came with the moulded carpet...for those that know more than me, was carpet like HBC's original in the roundies

looking at your carpet, i'm curious, because as most know, i make o2 carpet sets...in the 1st pic it appears that the carpet is cut right above the gas pedal...is it?

and the 2nd pic seems to be 2 pieces sewn together or a back seam/pleat in the carpet causing the bias to run at different angles...what's up with that

2qu3cdj.jpg

3450s43.jpg

esty,

It is sewn in both places and these are the two areas where fit isn't perfect. I haven't glued the top pieces yet. Original carpet is very thin, I think it is called Perlon, same as in the CSL coupes, I kept a few scraps. I had to lengthen the accel pedal opening one inch as well. I think they used the wrong template. Later cars got German loop I believe.

Chris

HBChris

Absolutely gorgeous! And I'm also happy you kept the Tobacco interior. It's one of my favorite '02 features.

My '71 1600 (now owned by James in PA) was Nevada/Tobacco when new, but someone had converted the interior to black. I sourced used panels and seats, but I had to convert the centers of the front seats to cloth since the original vinyl was trash. I visited the BMW museum in Munich to see what kind of cloth they used (admittedly, I was in Europe for work anyway... not like I made a special trip!) so I could replicate it here.

But I'm glad you were able to stay 100% factory. Looks beautiful. Job well done.

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

Original carpet is very thin, I think it is called Perlon, same as in the CSL coupes, I kept a few scraps.

Is it almost like felt? Feels pretty poor quality, but having said that mine's getting on a bit now - I need to clean and detail my interior, but after finding some NOS Italian rubber over mats I decided to keep the original carpet. Your car obviously puts mine to shame!

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

t...i've always been curious if the wool square weave was original in the o2's...i've never seen, to my knowledge an original interior of a roundie...all had been work'd on and the square tails came with the moulded carpet...for those that know more than me, was carpet like HBC's original in the roundies

Esty, to the best of my knowledge, square weave was not original in the 02s. Early roundies had cut and sewn loop carpet with slightly larger knots than later molded loop carpets.

Esty, to the best of my knowledge, square weave was not original in the 02s. Early roundies had cut and sewn loop carpet with slightly larger knots than later molded loop carpets.

that's always been my belief as well, that o2's did not have square weave wool carpeting...i guess it just a myth that grew wings...

i was looking for the wool square weave at GAHH this morning and couldn't find the sets listed or a price...they list the yardage and price but no o2 sets listed, only loop at, iirc, $745.00

Excellent work, Chris! It was very good to meet you at Legends of the Autobahn. Your Malaga coupe serves as wallpaper each time I use my cell phone. (from when you had it parked in front of Aunt Aggie's place in Carmel -- where we were staying....)

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz