• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What kind of fuel additive do you use in your car? (nt)

76Scott02

Nothing.... I run MMO from time to time if I need to.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I put Stabil during my last fillup before the 4.5 month winter hibernation. I'll run the car a good 20 miles or so before it goes down for the winter. Other than that, nothing.

.…”Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...You've got to run like an antelope: out of control…”

- 1974 2002 Atlantikblau sunroof

They have hardened, pressend in steel valve seats, and the lead content of gas was primarily to prevent valve seat erosion in engines with cast iron cylinder heads that weren't induction hardened in the valve seat area, which was about every US car built prior to the early-mid 70s.

Cars with aluminum cylinder heads use hardened steel inserts for valve seats, so no problem.

High performance engines, and those under heavy loads were particularly susceptible to valve seat erosion with unleaded gas, unless the valve seats were hardened steel.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite